My Humax Forum » Freesat HD » FOXSAT HDR

Repartitioning error...

(6 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

zeke

When I try to shrink the unwanted music/photo partition down to 1GB to get more space on the stock drive for video/radio partition, there seems to be a problem.

In some cases the "resized" video/radio partition will reflect the extra space but the music/photo partition still shows 26.2GB. I was able to repeat the process, each time with the music/photo partition showing as 26.2GB and more space on the video/radio partition, which was well over 300GB, clearly far more than the drive can hold.

Tried repartitioning manually in Gparted which worked after a second attempt, Humax didn't nag to reformat the HDD and displayed 0.8GB for the music/video partition and the correct (but slightly less than when done by the Humax) amount of space for the expanded video/radio partition.

Is this a known bug? I am running Custom FW 4.0.8 which up until a few hours ago was the latest version, based on the latest official Humax firmware. Also, what's up with the 37GB already used despite the fact the HDD has only just been formatted?

| Mon 15 Oct 2012 20:05:57 #1 |
  2. REPASSAC

REPASSAC

special member

What do yoy see as used using telnet or ftp?

| Mon 15 Oct 2012 20:34:12 #2 |
  3. User has not uploaded an avatar

zeke

When I put the box back together and back in the cabinet with all the wires hooked up I'll let you know.

| Mon 15 Oct 2012 20:58:37 #3 |
  4. User has not uploaded an avatar

raydon

special member

zeke - 16 hours ago  » Also, what's up with the 37GB already used despite the fact the HDD has only just been formatted?

When you get your drive reinstalled try entering 'df -h' from telnet to list the disk partitions.
    The difference between 'Size' and the sum of 'Used' and 'Available' is the File System Reserved space. This is created automatically when you create an ext3 partition and is usually around 5% of total. This space is supposed to reduce Linux file system defragmentation, and to allow root user login for maintenance or to allow Linux system logging facility to function properly in case file system running low of free disk space.
    It's not really necessary on the HDR as the operating system is embedded in firmware. If you have v4.0.9 custom firmware installed you can use maintenence mode to unmount the partition and reclaim this space using the tune2fs utility.
    umount /dev/hda3 - unmounts the partition
    tune2fs -l /dev/hda3 - to list the partition superblock.
    File System Reserved space is 'Block size" multipled by "Reserved block count" in bytes.
    tune2fs -m 0 /dev/hda3 - set reserved blocks percentage to zero.
    or
    tune2fs -m 1 /dev/hda3 - to set it to 1%.
    mount /dev/hda3 /mnt/hd3 - remount the partition.
    df -h - check that the space available has increased.

| Tue 16 Oct 2012 13:24:58 #4 |
  5. User has not uploaded an avatar

zeke

Thanks for the tip Raydon!

As it happens the maintenance mode you put in the latest firmware really helps - apparently between me reformatting the drive in the Foxsat and changing partition sizes using Gparted on my laptop the inodes on the first two (system?) partitions were all wrong, and after the fix-disk command all was well. I was then able to restore some of original content I stored on a USB2 HDD.

Am I right in thinking that you've included NTFS support in your custom firmware? Because devices that would throw up an error message on the stock firmware appear to be readable on the Foxsat now. I back up to an EXT3 partition for now (or just copy the .TS files via network, which seems faster) but if NTFS support is possible and won't break the two support files which go with videos that would make interoperability easier for me.

| Tue 16 Oct 2012 15:36:45 #5 |
  6. User has not uploaded an avatar

raydon

special member

zeke - 1 hour ago  » Am I right in thinking that you've included NTFS support in your custom firmware? Because devices that would throw up an error message on the stock firmware appear to be readable on the Foxsat now. I back up to an EXT3 partition for now (or just copy the .TS files via network, which seems faster) but if NTFS support is possible and won't break the two support files which go with videos that would make interoperability easier for me.

If you mean NTFS support for devices connected to the USB ports, then no only FAT32 or EXT3 formatted devices can be read or written to by the HDR. As to network connected devices, by using FTP or samba shares you can copy a recordings .ts .nts and .hmt files to and from NTFS formatted storage no problem.

| Tue 16 Oct 2012 17:39:42 #6 |

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.