My Humax Forum » Freesat HD » FOXSAT HDR

Replacement Hard Drive

(9 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

Gozoman

My Humax Foxsat PVR is starting to play up so I'm assuming that the hard drive is failing. I have reset it and formatted it but it's still starting and stopping during playback so is a real pain. I have ordered a second hand unit which apparently hasn't seen much use as it was only ever used in a mobile home so hopefully it will last for a while. Regarding the failing one I have I'd like to replace the hard drive and take the opportunity to upgrade it from 320GB to 1TB. I know that a certain type of drive has to be used, AV or something but was wondering if anyone has did this recently and can recommend the best 1TB drive to use? Cheers.

| Mon 14 Feb 2022 19:54:55 #1 |
  2. REPASSAC

REPASSAC

special member

A 1TB WD Purple drive should be fine. You will need a Jumper on pins 5 and 6 to slow the drive to 3 GB/S. 1TB is the maximun supported by the Foxsat.

| Tue 15 Feb 2022 5:52:22 #2 |
  3. User has not uploaded an avatar

Gozoman

A jumper on pins 5 and 6! I'm looking for a direct replacement not something where I have to muck around with jumpers! Have read a lot of bad reports about those purple drives anyway.

| Tue 15 Feb 2022 19:47:46 #3 |
  4. REPASSAC

REPASSAC

special member

Not easy finding a 3 GB/s drive now days, Especially one suitable for CE/AV use.

| Wed 16 Feb 2022 6:02:09 #4 |
  5. User has not uploaded an avatar

Martin Liddle

special member

Gozoman - 19 hours ago  » 
    A jumper on pins 5 and 6! I'm looking for a direct replacement not something where I have to muck around with jumpers!

In that case I think you will need to buy a second hand drive which can be tricky to get one in good condition.

| Wed 16 Feb 2022 15:27:11 #5 |
  6. User has not uploaded an avatar

bogbody

From personal experience, dont bother with second hand hard drives - I've had no luck buying from ebay/computer fairs.
    Fitting the jumper is no more difficult than fitting a 2 or 3mm screw.

| Wed 16 Feb 2022 20:03:47 #6 |
  7. User has not uploaded an avatar

Vincenzo

Hi,
    I just joined this Forum a short while ago as I bought a Foxsat-HDR off eBay for £39 complete with remote and even the user manual all in very good condition.
    I got it as although my Hisense TV (not particularly happy with it and wouldn't recommend one!!) will record to a USB stick, you can't do any real schedule recordings easily, so the Humax is a good solution.
    As the Foxsat-HDR is over 12 years old with probably it's original 320GB HDD, I did come looking for a suitable replacement and found this post, so I will be looking to get a 1TB WD Purple drive, and I would just like to say a big thank you to REPASSAC for this info, and I can certainly manage the jumper, even though I see someone else didn't like doing it, and to be honest, if you can't do that, then you really shouldn't be opening the box to change the HDD!
    Then! I discovered that there was the v 4.1.3 custom firmware upgrade, which I'm not sure now if I found here or another forum?
    I know some of you may have seen this firmware for a lot of years now and helped with it's development so are use to it, but I'm a 72 year old retired electronic technician and I've upgraded/installed a lot of firmware/hardware with all sorts of equipment over the years, but I can honestly say I think the Custom Firmware is fantastic, especially the Web Interface, I can tell even the various icons have had a lot of work put into them!
    So as I say, I'm not sure if I got the link to the v 4.1.3 firmware here or elsewhere, but again I would like to say a very big thank you to all the developers and testers of it over the years, I'm very grateful for all your work!
    Vince.

| Fri 15 Sep 2023 14:42:05 #7 |
  8. User has not uploaded an avatar

JimCraddock

Hi Vincenzo,
    I have just been down this route with my Foxsat-HDR. My drive seemed to be on the way out, and would intermittently not boot up and/or faile to record/playback. I had read that the Foxsat could be fitted with a 2TB drive, and ordered a Seagate ST2000VM003 Pipeline fro Amazon (brand new and sealed) for £27. Removing the old drive was straightforward, partitioned the new drive with 4 Ext3 partitions (the main one being partition 3 for the video recordings, fitted it in the Foxsat and now I have 1.72TB of usable drive.

Hope this helps!

| Thu 21 Sep 2023 15:58:35 #8 |
  9. User has not uploaded an avatar

Vincenzo

Hi JimCraddock,
    Thanks for the info, I have been looking at other hard drives, so good to know that the Seagate drive you bought works fine and it's a good price as well!
    To be honest I was not really looking for a lot of storage, just a good quality replacement, as at the moment the original 320GB drive seems to be working fine, but as I'm very pleased with the Foxsat-HDR I'd like to have a new drive in 'stock' if the old drive started to fail.
    Anyway, thanks again for the help and information.
    Vince.

| Thu 21 Sep 2023 16:28:05 #9 |

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.