My Humax Forum » Freesat HD » FOXSAT HDR

Replacing hard drive

(5 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

Briskly

Sorry if this is a stupid question but I am confused about replacing the hard drive in my Foxsat. I have the original model from about 2009. I replaced the original 320 Gb drive about 5 years ago with a WD 1tb drive which works fine but is now full and I would like to replace it. I've seen comments here that suggest you have to stick to a 1tb drive, and others that suggest you can use larger drives after a firmware upgrade. I can't seem to get the unit to upgrade the firmware or even check what I have. Grateful for any help!

| Thu 2 May 2024 21:09:36 #1 |
  2. User has not uploaded an avatar

dino

special member

The standard Foxsat will format a blank disk up to 1TB.
    Above that size, it is necessary to pre-format the new disk on a Linux system.
    You'd probably want to attach both old and new drives to the Linux system to copy existing recordings across.

Not sure there is a minimum level of Humax firmware required for greater than 1TB. Do you have a link to a post that says you do ?

To check what version of firmware you have - while not recording you can
    Press Menu, then select 'System' then 'Diagnostics'
    If you try this while recording the options will be unavailable.

Also I seem to recall the version may display on the unit itself at some point while booting.

There are also posts reporting that any disk you install needs to be backwards compatible with first generation SATA controllers which may limit your choice.

| Wed 8 May 2024 17:07:57 #2 |
  3. User has not uploaded an avatar

Martin Liddle

special member

dino - 4 hours ago  » 
    There are also posts reporting that any disk you install needs to be backwards compatible with first generation SATA controllers which may limit your choice.

I am not sure that it limits the choice but for drives that are not SATA 1 it will mean learning how to limit the drive to SATA 1; some use a special software utility others use jumpers.

| Wed 8 May 2024 21:29:36 #3 |
  4. User has not uploaded an avatar

Briskly

Thanks for the replies guys. I've decided to play safe and ordered a 1TB Seagate pipeline drive.Will keep you posted how it goes.

| Wed 8 May 2024 22:33:10 #4 |
  5. User has not uploaded an avatar

dino

special member

"inform your choice" may have been a better phrase than "limit your choice"

| Thu 9 May 2024 8:28:40 #5 |

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.