My Humax Forum » WELCOME to the forums!

Researching...

(3 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

embee999

My trusty Humax Fox HDR (with custom firmware) will not handshake via HDMI to new TVs (composite ok) and sadly, I'm looking for a replacement. The 5000 seems the obvious choice but the negative issues (reliability, freezing, interface) make me very nervous about choosing this device. Have Humax fixed anything significantly in the last few months or are they a brand that can no longer be trusted? The Panasonics have interface problems and devices like the Manhattan TR3 have no external drive options or DLNA compatibility.

| Sat 7 Dec 2019 20:33:49 #1 |
  2. User has not uploaded an avatar

Martin Liddle

special member

embee999 - 2 mins ago  » 
    My trusty Humax Fox HDR (with custom firmware) will not handshake via HDMI to new TVs (composite ok) and sadly, I'm looking for a replacement.

You might like to describe what make and model of TV you are trying to connect the HDR-FOX T2 to? there have been discussions about HDMI adapters that might resolve the problem,

The 5000 seems the obvious choice but the negative issues (reliability, freezing, interface) make me very nervous about choosing this device.

I am not aware of any significant current reliability issues nor freezing issues. I have an FVP that I use in preference to the HDR-FOX T2 because subtitles work properly and it doesn't suffer from the sound blip problem which affected the HDR-FOX T2 when connected to a recent LG TV. The user interface isn't quick but I can live with it; there are irritations because the user interface doesn't behave in a consistent way but they are relatively minor and again I can live with them. If you do decide to buy an FVP then buy it on-line so that you can return it if you don't like it.

| Sat 7 Dec 2019 20:43:38 #2 |
  3. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

embee999 - 1 day ago  » 
    My trusty Humax Fox HDR (with custom firmware) will not handshake via HDMI to new TVs (composite ok) and sadly, I'm looking for a replacement. The 5000 seems the obvious choice but the negative issues (reliability, freezing, interface) make me very nervous about choosing this device. Have Humax fixed anything significantly in the last few months or are they a brand that can no longer be trusted? The Panasonics have interface problems and devices like the Manhattan TR3 have no external drive options or DLNA compatibility.

I have a new 2019 55" OLED TV with HDCP2.2 HDMI ports which I guess is the issue. Your older boxes only support HDMI V1.4

I have a HDR-FOX-T2 and a FVP-5000T connected via a high end Denon Receiver and a CF equipped Foxsat-HDR directly connected to the TV. They all work fine.

The only minor issue I have is a ancient Wii connected to a component to HDMI convertor that will not work when connected directly to the TV.

However I have workaround, which may not work for you.

My AV receiver has a front HDMI input and when a converter is used the Wii works but only when connected to the front HDMI input on the DEnon receiver.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/p/Lindy-HDMI-Bidirectional-HDCP-Converter-V2-2-and-V1-4/24012989565?iid=372192685891&chn=ps&norover=1&mkevt=1&mkrid=710-134428-41853-0&mkcid=2&itemid=372192685891&targetid=595627730593&device=c&mktype=pla&googleloc=1007011&poi=&campaignid=6619151969&mkgroupid=84510980848&rlsatarget=aud-498165878543:pla-595627730593&abcId=1140496&merchantid=7254194&gclid=CjwKCAiA27LvBRB0EiwAPc8XWdfgC2sHiRSQXERfk0xupYuRen2TJ8eLRFqjpjUtGi8qjer96HMJcBoCplwQAvD_BwE

However as you might expect displaying a SD (480P) input on a 4K display is not going to look great.

HD sources from the HDR-FOX-T2 and FVP-5000T which will be scaled by my receiver to 4K look good (and also by any 4K TV) . Here's the surprise the Foxsat-HDR connected directly to the TV (audio returned to the AV receiver using ARC ), video looks great. Even when connected to a high end Panasonic High end Full-HD TV the output looks soft.

The LG scaler looks just as good as the full-HD output from either the HDR-1000S or the FVP-5000T. For HD inputs you will need to make some adjustments to the TV settings.

For a free 4K source try bbc iplayer the one planet series in HLG HDR looks amazing. Sadly the sound is only stereo.

Nothing compares to to high power AV Dolby Atmos receiver paired to a good 4K HDR blu-ray player with a HDR 4K disc.

To summarise the issue would seem to be down to your TV. A Full-HD source with HDMI V1.4 HDCP should handshake with with a HDCP2.0/2.2 port. The higher end spec is only required for 4K HDR (High Dynamic range content).

Your TV should tell your Humax box during the HDCP handshake procedure it's a 1920 x 1080p device when tuned to a HD channel, make the video connection an rescale to 2160p to create a full screen picture. If you use SD channels it should still work but the picture quality will be dire. A 4K TV has 4 x times more pixels than your source has even than a full HD-source.

Basically the TV has to guess all the mixing video data.

If yo want to use SD you should not have bought a 4K TV)

Contact the TV manufacturer or the retailer who sold the TV if yo do not get a decent picture when viewing a HD source.

| Sun 8 Dec 2019 23:19:37 #3 |

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.