My Humax Forum » Freesat HD » FOXSAT HDR

says no signal and slow to reboot

(4 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

brynl

I have a FOXSAT-HDR which is maybe 10 years old?  It claims not to have a signal, but works fine sometimes.  It is also taking ages to reboot from standby and a complete power off and unplug... Background: about a year ago it did the same as now, I took the box around to mates house to test on his dish and it worked ok, so I replaced the lnb and it worked fine... then a month ago it again lost signal but a reboot sometimes fixed it.  Did this for a few weeks, then got fed up so again replaced the lnb. It only worked again after a full power down.  But it did work for a bit, then no signal,  reboot a few times then work again. Now it insisted there is no signal..

I have tried unpluging/reconnecting all the leads etc. But no joy.  Not sure if to put it in a skip, buy a new Humax box, or a new TV with Freesat built in... before I do that, I thought let's give the experts on here a try.... PS it plays back recordings fine, so the connection to the tv should be ok.  It just the lack of a signal as confirmed in the diagnostics which is my issue.  The dish and lnb connections look fine...

Any ideas?   Cheers Bryn

Update. Again been around to my mates and again it worked fine. Came home plugged it all back in, and guess what it worked! So what on earth is going on. Is it some intermittent fault with the tuner part of the box? Trouble is I am losing / lost confidence in the box. Anyone have any ideas?

| Mon 21 May 2018 16:22:37 #1 |
  2. REPASSAC

REPASSAC

special member

No 1 problem is poor LNB connection / shorted connection.
    Recheck F connectors are making good electrical circuit with not stands on earth touching centre connection.

| Mon 21 May 2018 19:04:15 #2 |
  3. User has not uploaded an avatar

brynl

Thanks for the quick response. What I don't understand is that I must have rebooted it 20 times today, and took out every connection and checked but it still said no signal. Yet go to my mates house and it connectes to his dish straight away and fully tunes in. Bring it home, plug it in and it works fine with 100% strength and quality..... also if there was a bad connection why is it that both tuners either work or neither work, doesn't each tuner have it's own independent feed from the lnb (I have a twin lnb with two cables into the box.)

Just wondered if there was a known issue with these older boxes having an intermittent tuner fault. I can tell when it's not going to work as it takes 3 or 4 mins to boot, when it doesn't work.

Sorry one other symptom, it can be working fine, then when you change channel it loses all signal...

Thanks again for your feedback.

| Mon 21 May 2018 19:33:35 #3 |
  4. REPASSAC

REPASSAC

special member

Try redoing the F connector - with a poor one you can take off and replace it till the cows come home and it will not make any difference.

Your fried has a good connection (and signal), you don't.

| Mon 21 May 2018 19:55:56 #4 |

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.