My Humax Forum » Freeview HD » HDR FOX T2

Scrambled files

(12 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

LaurieR

Humax have just returned my HDR Fox T2 having replaced the mother board and updated software.
    Previous recordings can now no longer be viewed. Error message is that the files are scrambled or the channel can't be viewed.
    Any suggestions? I'd prefer not to reformat the drive (Humax's only suggestion)unless it's absolutely necessary

| Mon 16 Sep 2013 14:20:32 #1 |
  2. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

If humax replaced the motherboard then it's likely that the box now has a new encryption key. As a result only new recordings will work. Afraid there is little chance of ever viewing them.

Welcome to the forum

| Mon 16 Sep 2013 14:57:33 #2 |
  3. Wallace

Wallace

special member

Seconded.

Its no good to you now, but if a similar situation arose in the future there could be a way out.

Install the custom firmware and decrypt your recordings, copy them to an external HDD, or PC. That way you will be able to transfer them back if required. As a bonus they will play on your PC too.

If ever you wanted to fit a larger HDD in you HDR (I don't know what size disk you currently have) copying the existing recordings to another HDD then back to the new drive could be done easier. Although in this case, as the machine is the same one as the recordings were made, technically there wouldn't be the need to decrypt first.

For more info on the custom firmware you could take a look over at Hummy.tv here: http://hummy.tv/forum/index.php

| Mon 16 Sep 2013 15:53:48 #3 |
  4. User has not uploaded an avatar

LaurieR

Thanks. Unlikely to need a larger HDD (currently 1TB).

I've previously successfully transferred files via USB but presumably they are decryted in this process as I haven't had a problem playing the files on a variety of devices.

| Mon 16 Sep 2013 16:14:28 #4 |
  5. Wallace

Wallace

special member

You never know. I am not a fan of the original Seagate 1TB HDD fitted to these models.

I recently purchased a brand new 1TB HDR, within a couple of weeks the HDD was showing increasing reallocated sectors. Not had much luck with Seagates in my PC over the years either. I am sure that there must be some happy Seagate customers out there....

| Mon 16 Sep 2013 16:18:34 #5 |
  6. User has not uploaded an avatar

Martin Liddle

special member

LaurieR - 9 minutes ago  » 
    I've previously successfully transferred files via USB but presumably they are decryted in this process as I haven't had a problem playing the files on a variety of devices.

SD recordings will be decrypted but not HD recordings.

| Mon 16 Sep 2013 16:24:54 #6 |
  7. User has not uploaded an avatar

LaurieR

Does this mean I can transfer all my "scambled" SD files via USB or will the fact that the box has a new encryption key prevent this?

| Mon 16 Sep 2013 16:45:05 #7 |
  8. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

LaurieR - 36 minutes ago  » 
    Does this mean I can transfer all my "scambled" SD files via USB or will the fact that the box has a new encryption key prevent this?

You can't export SD recordings via usb as the box lacks the key to decrypt them. You can upload any SD files you transferred prior to the motherboard replacement. If you have deleted the associated .nts and .hmt files then there's a free utility by Raydon that will re-create these (AV2HDR-T2). You don't need these to play back on a T2 box but having them restores the full transport controls you get with a native recording.

| Mon 16 Sep 2013 17:25:52 #8 |
  9. Wallace

Wallace

special member

Sorry that won't work. The key used to decrypt the recordings, both SD and HD, is stored in hardware and is unique to the box. The SD recordings are decrypted while being transferred, but using the key that was used to encrypt them in the first place. Obviously, the key you now have is not the same as the one you had when the recordings were made. You have already proven that it won't work otherwise you wouldn't be here asking!

HTH.

| Mon 16 Sep 2013 17:25:59 #9 |
  10. Wallace

Wallace

special member

Sorry, Graham, posts keep crossing. Didn't mean to step on your toes.

| Mon 16 Sep 2013 19:02:46 #10 |

RSS feed for this topic

Reply »

You must log in to post.