My Humax Forum » Freeview HD » HDR FOX T2

Scrambled files

(12 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

damian

special member

Purely an academic question, but does anybody know whether the encryption hardware ID is the MAC address, in which case it could be spoofed, or a CPU ID such as the raspberry pi which they use to licence mpeg2? If it's the MAC address and it can be spoofed then there's little hope, possible maybe to recover the files, if it's the CPU ID then I'm assuming there's no hope to recover/decrypt

I guess Humax repairs shouldn't format the hard drive, before returning, just in case there's personal stuff, photos etc. on it.

More reason, then, to install the excellent custom firmware, I have auto decrypt running, as do most people here I guess (thanks to those involved).

Back to Wallace's post, manufacturers used to give 3-5 years warranty on a drive (most of my older ones have 5). This seems to be 1-2 years now, so we can all see where it's going. I've a Seagate 32MB drive (with its own 8bit card) that still powered up a year ago, but I've plenty of IBM drives over the years that've failed. Sometimes it's a known problem and a firmware update is needed. Humax do seem to have had more then their fair share of problms with the 1TB model though.

I've had good experience with Samsung green power and who ever it is that has intellipower (WD) where the spin speed is variable, but around 5900rpm. Ironically I've also got an Hitachi Deskstar 5K3000 2TB green at the moment in my HdrFoxT2 which has been perfect and Hitachi storage took over IBM, which just goes to show that there's no clear winner as far as Hard Drives go. I'd never buy a pvr drive as it makes no sense to me, rather a 4500 or 5400rpm or some form of intellipower with proper error correction.

Back to LaurieR, your old recordings are now duff, sorry, but put the custom firmware on the box and enter a new world.

| Mon 16 Sep 2013 19:42:22 #11 |
  2. Wallace

Wallace

special member

damian - 1 minute ago  » 

...Back to LaurieR, your old recordings are now duff, sorry, but put the custom firmware on the box and enter a new world.

Well said.

| Mon 16 Sep 2013 19:44:43 #12 |

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.