My Humax Forum » Freeview HD » HDR 1800T, 2000T

Separate Hard Drive

(13 posts)
  1. Doghouse

Doghouse

Can someone recommend a separate hard drive which would be suitable for backing up the fifty or so films I have saved on my HDR 2000.

Many thanks.

| Thu 22 Feb 2018 20:40:11 #1 |
  2. User has not uploaded an avatar

crashcris

I'm using this one I bough from Amazon. WD 2TB Elements Portable External Hard Drive

| Wed 28 Feb 2018 21:11:54 #2 |
  3. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

2TB would hold about 500 or so 2HR HD movies from Freeview (a lot more if recorded in SD). A cheaper much smaller drive would be more than large enough.

| Wed 28 Feb 2018 21:34:28 #3 |
  4. Doghouse

Doghouse

Thanks for that. I've settled for a;

SONNICS EXTERNAL HARD DRIVE USB 3.0 PC MAC Xbox One PS4 500GB

| Wed 28 Feb 2018 22:36:39 #4 |
  5. User has not uploaded an avatar

Faust

special member

Doghouse - 6 days ago  » 
    Can someone recommend a separate hard drive which would be suitable for backing up the fifty or so films I have saved on my HDR 2000.
    Many thanks.

I would add the caveat that backing up is all you will be able to do with them i.e. tied to the machine unless they are in SD, whereby you can then use them elsewhere should your machine fail at some point.

| Thu 1 Mar 2018 11:55:16 #5 |
  6. Doghouse

Doghouse

I'm not quite with you.

Some YouTube videos I've recorded on my laptop I've transferred to a usb stick and then uploaded to the Humax and stored on its hard drive with other films from the TV I've recorded, are obviously playable. Once I've copied these and other films on there to my new hard drive, what would prevent me from uploading them to another HDR or in fact playing through the "Viera Tools" facility on my Panasonic TV?

| Thu 1 Mar 2018 12:34:34 #6 |
  7. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

Doghouse - 28 minutes ago  » 
    I'm not quite with you.
    Some YouTube videos I've recorded on my laptop I've transferred to a usb stick and then uploaded to the Humax and stored on its hard drive with other films from the TV I've recorded, are obviously playable. Once I've copied these and other films on there to my new hard drive, what would prevent me from uploading them to another HDR or in fact playing through the "Viera Tools" facility on my Panasonic TV?

Faust was talking about content you recorded using the 2000T and assuming you wanted to keep them safe.

| Thu 1 Mar 2018 13:04:29 #7 |
  8. Doghouse

Doghouse

This is correct.

The idea was having somewhere else to store them in case the Humax crashes and I have to buy a new HDR. I would want to load them on a new machine if possible if it became necessary.

Thanks.

| Thu 1 Mar 2018 15:33:44 #8 |
  9. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

Doghouse - 51 minutes ago  » 
    This is correct.
    The idea was having somewhere else to store them in case the Humax crashes and I have to buy a new HDR. I would want to load them on a new machine if possible if it became necessary.
    Thanks.

Now I am confused. Faust was pointing out that HD recordings made on the box are encrypted, if you copy them to a seperate hard disk they remain encrypted, only the box that made them will play them back. If you replace the box that made the recordings they will be useless.

Replacing the hard disk in the machine is OK you can copy them back to a new internal hard disk.

There are ways round this that cannot be discussed here.

| Thu 1 Mar 2018 16:30:20 #9 |
  10. Doghouse

Doghouse

Thanks, but there isn't a problem.

I've just recorded a few minutes of the snooker on my HDR, uploaded it to a USB stick and replayed it on my lap top and also stuck the stick in the side of my TV and played it with the Viera tools facility, giving me a perfect picture and sound.

| Thu 1 Mar 2018 17:25:11 #10 |

RSS feed for this topic

Reply »

You must log in to post.