My Humax Forum » Freesat HD » FOXSAT HDR

Shared ethernet cable

(10 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

Reginald

Hi.

Does anyone know if the Foxsat HDR ethernet port is powered while it is in standby and recording?

I am hoping I can share a single ethernet cable between my Foxsat and Xbox using one of those 99p ethernet splitters. It appears these splitters work ok as long as only one device is powered on at any one time. My Xbox is powered off unless I am using it, so I should be able to watch iplayer etc on the Foxsat in this case. However, I don't know if I can use the Xbox online if the Foxsat is recording a program on standby, or even if it is just in standby doing nothing.

I am trying to avoid the more expensive option of a homeplug network, although I suppose I might be able to use a pair of real ethernet cable splitters to share the single cable, as long as I have a spare port on the router.

Reg.

| Thu 26 Jan 2012 15:49:08 #1 |
  2. gomezz

gomezz

special member

An ethernet switch would be the normal solution. Run one ethernet lead from your router to the switch located by your AV kit and connect each device to the switch with short ethernet leads.

| Thu 26 Jan 2012 17:04:42 #2 |
  3. User has not uploaded an avatar

Reginald

I'm really trying to avoid adding yet another powered device to the collection, but the ethernet switch is certainly a simpler solution than the homeplug network - I was maybe getting a bit carried away there.

| Thu 26 Jan 2012 21:21:57 #3 |
  4. REPASSAC

REPASSAC

special member

"I am hoping I can share a single ethernet cable between my Foxsat and Xbox using one of those 99p ethernet splitters"

Assuming the able is correctly wired and 8 core you can use TWO splitters and some connectors. Remember at the hub end you need to use one to combine two ethernet ports and and one at the other end to split them back. Basically the solution uses 4 wired for each of the connections which is normal.

| Fri 27 Jan 2012 10:04:26 #4 |
  5. User has not uploaded an avatar

Reginald

Hi REPASSAC,

For 99p you only get a splitter that literally splits all the CAT5 pairs into two, and thus has very limited applications. The splitter you are talking about is more expensive (about £3.50 each ), and must be used in pairs, as you say.

I have a piece of trunking that carries my single satellite cable, an ethernet cable and my surround speaker wires into the loft. With a bit of luck, I will be able to fit a twin satellite cable in this trunking and still have room for one ethernet cable and speaker wires - but definitely no more.

If the advanced ethernet splitter works it would be a great solution for carrying two network connections into the loft without me having to replace the trunking (not easy).

Regards.

| Fri 27 Jan 2012 11:54:36 #5 |
  6. REPASSAC

REPASSAC

special member

They do indeed work - but your limit is two devices. If you ever think you wmay want to connect your TV or a media adaptor / player then a cheap green gigabyte switch will solve all.

| Fri 27 Jan 2012 13:26:02 #6 |
  7. aldaweb

aldaweb

administrator

I have used a passive splitter to connect 2 devices to 1 switch/router input (when I bought my net enabled TV). Both devices could access the rest of the network but not each other and they were'nt in use at the same time. I have now replaced it with a switch relegated from use as a router.

| Fri 27 Jan 2012 16:33:35 #7 |
  8. User has not uploaded an avatar

iaint

Hi.
    If you've a USB port nearby (say, on the back of the TV/Xbox/Foxsat, there are USB-powered ethernet switches...
    --
    Regards, Iain.

| Wed 22 Feb 2012 21:08:47 #8 |
  9. User has not uploaded an avatar

Reginald

iaint - 13 hours ago  » 
    Hi.
    If you've a USB port nearby (say, on the back of the TV/Xbox/Foxsat, there are USB-powered ethernet switches...
    --
    Regards, Iain.

Interesting - never thought of that!

Just to confirm - the el cheapo ethernet splitter does work to an extent. However, it appears that if the Humax is recording a program in standby mode, then the ethernet port is still live and your other device won't be able to use the network.

| Thu 23 Feb 2012 10:36:52 #9 |
  10. gomezz

gomezz

special member

That may be the same bug that does not drop the optical audio output if put into standby while still recording which causes me and my AV amp minor grief.

| Thu 23 Feb 2012 11:32:14 #10 |

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.