My Humax Forum » Freeview HD » FVP 4000T, 5000T

Short & Long programme descriptions

(7 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

mrbutt89

Now that our FVP400T has updated to the new firmware we're really pleased. Particularly with the new layouts in the recorded programmes library. Just one question...
    When we first look at the details about a recorded programme, a basic short description appears for a second or two. However, before we've had a chance to read it, it's replaced by a much longer text synopsis which gives us far more information than we generally want.
    Is there any way of getting back from the long version to the short version? We've tried various buttons on the remote without success.

| Mon 5 Mar 2018 14:23:00 #1 |
  2. User has not uploaded an avatar

Ricinus

This is driving us potty.
    It is even happening for future episodes of things that are set to record. The long text, which is so much it sometimes goes off the bottom of the screen, doesn't even include the number of episodes like the short description.

| Tue 6 Mar 2018 3:16:59 #2 |
  3. prking

prking

This is really a matter for the broadcasters to make sure that their programme descriptions are accurate across different providers (eg the Freeview and Freeview Play RPGs)

As most channels descriptions don't change from episode to episode then they aren't doing a good job.

A platform like Freeview Play can't insist on episode numbers because for a great deal of programming it's pointless (S1E9999999 of EastEnders, S1E2 of the Olympics etc)

Really, broadcasters have to get better at providing EPG information, starting by removing the word NEW from the start of the programme.

| Tue 6 Mar 2018 8:53:03 #3 |
  4. User has not uploaded an avatar

mrbutt89

prking - 3 minutes ago  » 
    This is really a matter for the broadcasters to make sure that their programme descriptions are accurate across different providers (eg the Freeview and Freeview Play RPGs)
    As most channels descriptions don't change from episode to episode then they aren't doing a good job.

While I agree there should be standardisation "across the field", that doesn't explain why a brief description (i.e. the one I want to see) appears momentarily before the great long synopsis. I suspect that broadcasters provide both versions so that viewers can access greater detail if they want it from the shorter one, and the problem lies with the implementation on the Humax side. The Humax box seems to switch over to the long one automatically, and there doesn't even seem to be a way to scroll down the text which has flowed off the screen.

| Tue 6 Mar 2018 8:59:30 #4 |
  5. User has not uploaded an avatar

AJ

An example programme is ‘Saving Lives at Sea’ on BBC2 HD at 19:00 Wednesday, but I do get a scroll bar appear which if you highlight let’s you scroll down.

For a change this doesn’t niggle me, what niggles me a bit is when using the small info banner and scrolling up/down channels. You start reading the small bit of info available and it gets replaced by the series/ep.

On the main info screen I do find the series/ep useful, yet once it’s been recorded and you are looking in recordings, it keeps the short description not the long. Example right now on BBC4 - long description available, but as soon as I am recording only the short appears. Stop the recording and the long is back.

It’s a bit of both sides here I think, broadcasters not being consistent and Humax not being consistent.

| Tue 6 Mar 2018 21:32:14 #5 |
  6. User has not uploaded an avatar

Ricinus

An example is 'Hugh's Wild West' on BBC2 Saturday evening.

I can see there are three lines of text as it comes up...

10/12 Hugh ... BANG

now suddenly there is so much text it goes off the bottom off the screen. I don't want an essay from the Radio Times just that original short description please.

| Wed 7 Mar 2018 23:32:39 #6 |
  7. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

Ricinus - 12 hours ago  » 
    An example is 'Hugh's Wild West' on BBC2 Saturday evening.
    I can see there are three lines of text as it comes up...
    10/12 Hugh ... BANG
    now suddenly there is so much text it goes off the bottom off the screen. I don't want an essay from the Radio Times just that original short description please.

Pressing right to highlight the up/down arrows in blue lets you scroll the text.

| Thu 8 Mar 2018 11:42:05 #7 |

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.