My Humax Forum » Freeview HD » FVP 4000T, 5000T

Signal Unlock response - 5000T and Denon tuner

(11 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

Jonathan C

Just bought a 5000T to replace Fox T2 which had given up the ghost. Very impressive box, everything working well so far, except I don't get any sound when I connect it via optical cable to my Denon tuner/amp (as I had previously with the old box). The Denon displays "Signal Unlock". Are there any other ways of connecting the Denon so I can get speaker quality sound?

| Wed 27 Jun 2018 11:56:07 #1 |
  2. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

Hi welcome to our forum. On the 5000T the toslink output has it's own settings.

FVP-Settings-General Settings-Audio-S/PDIF Dolby Digital

FVP-Settings-General Settings-Audio-HDMI Dolby Digital

Tune to a HD channel and adjust the Audio level using the Denon volume. Tune to a SD channel and adjust the SD volume to matchj using the 5000T volume control.

A bit puzzled why you need the toslink. You would normally connnect a set top box to a HDMI input on a AV receiver, connect the the AV receiver HDMI out to the TV and use the box HDMI out to deliver the audio.

If your Denon is a stereo only device, change the toslink output to stereo.

| Wed 27 Jun 2018 15:08:27 #2 |
  3. User has not uploaded an avatar

Marius

Jonathan C - 8 hours ago  » 
    Are there any other ways of connecting the Denon so I can get speaker quality sound?

I have my 5000T connected to one of the TV's HDMI inputs and the TV's optical out connected to a Denon hi-fi's optical in.

As grahamlthompson suggests, there's probably no good reason for this arrangement and I don't really know what I'm doing, but I happened to have long optical cable on hand and it works okay.

| Wed 27 Jun 2018 20:25:00 #3 |
  4. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

TV's vary greatly on what digital audio output they can pass on to a audio digital output to a AV receiver.

The whole idea of a AV receiver is you connect all your HDMI sources to the available inputs on the receiver and you connect a single HDMI cable from the receiver hdmi output to the TV.

You change what you are watching by simply by selecting a different HDMI input on the receiver, if you have only one there's no need to select a different input. If you have more than one source then a activity based remote like a logitech harmony remote can help by changing all the inputs to enable viewing lots of other sources.

Your setup sounds pretty simple. If you post your Denon AV receiver model, I can download the manual and help to setup it up to use the HDMI receiver audio output to deliver the audio from the box to the Denon's connected speakers. If in the future you get say a BD player you will get the superior sound of the lossless master HD audio that Blu-ray supports.

| Wed 27 Jun 2018 20:58:04 #4 |
  5. User has not uploaded an avatar

Marius

That's very kind of you, grahamlthompson.

It's not really an AV receiver - just a small Hi-Fi (or so I thought, but the website lists it as a "CD RECEIVER") in my study where space is at a premium and I only have a 32 inch Panasonic TV. It's this model:

http://manuals.denon.com/RCDM40/EU/EN/index.php

| Wed 27 Jun 2018 22:50:27 #5 |
  6. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

Change the settings as follows

FVP-Settings-General Settings-Audio-S/PDIF Stereo

FVP-Settings-General Settings-Audio-HDMI Stereo

Turn up the box volume to near max using the supplied Humax remote

| Thu 28 Jun 2018 9:38:25 #6 |
  7. User has not uploaded an avatar

Marius

FVP-Settings-General Settings-Audio-S/PDIF was already set to: Stereo

and I've changed FVP-Settings-General Settings-Audio-HDMI to: Stereo (it was Dolby Digital before) and maxed out the PVR's volume.

I nearly always listen late at night with headphones plugged into the Denon and the volume control for the TV's built-in speakers turned down to zero (if that makes any difference).

The TV is a Panasonic TX-L32B6B that's getting a bit long in the tooth but I absolutely love it and I'm dreading having to replace it because it has a media player that's amazing for audiobooks as it fast-forwards MP3s at lightning speed - something that very few players do (including my Samsung BluRay) - and it has a brilliantly designed remote and Viera technology that lets me use it to control the BluRay (which has a truly awful remote) and navigate through HD video file directories on a 3TB external drive.

I also have the desktop computer's soundcard plugged into the Denon's analogue input and I can select that or the PVR or BluRay with the Panasonic's remote.

| Thu 28 Jun 2018 16:12:23 #7 |
  8. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

Marius - 8 minutes ago  » 
    FVP-Settings-General Settings-Audio-S/PDIF was already set to: Stereo
    and I've changed FVP-Settings-General Settings-Audio-HDMI to: Stereo (it was Dolby Digital before) and maxed out the PVR's volume.
    I nearly always listen late at night with headphones plugged into the Denon and the volume control for the TV's built-in speakers turned down to zero (if that makes any difference).
    The TV is a Panasonic TX-L32B6B that's getting a bit long in the tooth but I absolutely love it and I'm dreading having to replace it because it has a media player that's amazing for audiobooks as it fast-forwards MP3s at lightning speed - something that very few players do (including my Samsung BluRay) - and it has a brilliantly designed remote and Viera technology that lets me use it to control the BluRay (which has a truly awful remote) and navigate through HD video file directories on a 3TB external drive.
    I also have the desktop computer's soundcard plugged into the Denon's analogue input and I can select that or the PVR or BluRay with the Panasonic's remote.

Can you now hear the box using the Denon ?

| Thu 28 Jun 2018 16:21:19 #8 |
  9. User has not uploaded an avatar

Marius

Yes.

| Thu 28 Jun 2018 20:07:43 #9 |
  10. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

Marius - 4 minutes ago  » 
    Yes.

Job done

| Thu 28 Jun 2018 20:12:36 #10 |