My Humax Forum » WELCOME to the forums!

Signal,strength and quality

(3 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

Alan Wood

I've had a mysterious intermittent fault since about a year after I purchased the PVR, more than 4 years ago. The signal quality was often poor, the picture showing patches of wrong pixels or sometimes the whole thing impossible to see properly. The quality could be 100% even with a strength of less than 10 to 20%. I fitted a 12 dB booster but this didn't improve the quality very much. Then I found that if I moved the aerial lead where it plugged into the PVR it made a huge difference to the quality, between 10 and 100% - with little effect on the level. But this was highly selective and it was difficult to get all of the channels in use (between 26 and 52) at 100% quality. I've tried a new aerial lead with no improvement. I now have to keep the lead in the optimal place by a heavy weight on top but every now and then it needs re-adjusting. Obviously the PVR will need to be serviced but I am really keen to know how the quality can change so much with so little change in signal level.

| Tue 10 Nov 2015 22:07:14 #1 |
  2. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

Could be simply too strong a signal. A attenuator (preferably a variable one) may fix it for you. If you have any amplifiers in the circuit remove them first. At dso digital power was greatly increased, as a result where you needed amplification it will now no longer be required. You don't say which humax pvr you have, but some have sensitive tuners that will work with low level signals. The downside is it's easy to swamp the tuner front end causing signal clipping. Because of the distortion of the output waveform, the signal strength indicated is meaningless.

Welcome to our forum.

| Tue 10 Nov 2015 23:00:27 #2 |
  3. User has not uploaded an avatar

Martin Liddle

special member

Alan Wood - 4 hours ago  » 
    Then I found that if I moved the aerial lead where it plugged into the PVR it made a huge difference to the quality, between 10 and 100% - with little effect on the level. But this was highly selective and it was difficult to get all of the channels in use (between 26 and 52) at 100% quality.

I assume the other end of the fly lead is plugged into a wall socket? Have you looked at the wiring in the wall socket. Sounds to me very like a badly made joint that are very commonly reported to give problems on Humax kit.

| Wed 11 Nov 2015 2:45:05 #3 |

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.