My Humax Forum » Freeview HD » FVP 4000T, 5000T

Sold it! Bye, Bye Humax

(4 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

surfer

Just sold my FVP box and I am so relieved to have got rid of this clunky, slow and most un-user friendly PVR I've ever owned! This was my first Humax and definitely my last!

Humax need to take a good long hard look at how other manufactures set up there UI on their boxes, I cant believe that when PVR's have been around for over a decade that rubbish like this can still be released in 2015!

I took a £100 hit on it, to get rid, I'm so glad to see the back of it, but I do pity the poor sod who's bought it off me.

I've now moved onto an EE TV box, and wow the difference is amazing!, everything from coming out of standby to scrolling through your tv guide is instant on this box, and so clear and easy to use to boot!..Oh yeah it to records 4 programs at once.

Over many years I've owned boxes from JVC, Sony, Panasonic and even a smaller player in the market "Digital Stream" and they were all worlds apart from this box from Humax, this unit has so many faults and glitches it was diabolical really that Humax released this to market, shame on you!

Edit I've just also noticed that a new remote has been released now for this unit, well that says it all about this box, they couldn't even design the right/good remote in the first place for it.

| Mon 16 May 2016 9:39:26 #1 |
  2. User has not uploaded an avatar

Faust

special member

Hmm! if it's as instant as you say then it's not in deep sleep mode - equivalent to Humax power saving mode, so it's therefore using just a little less power than fully powered up - similar to Sky's boxes.

I would agree though that the 4000T has been plagued with problems - you should have gone for one of their other boxes e.g. Freesat.

As the owner of a Panasonic PVR myself I can't agree with your comments as whilst they are reliable they also have very poor UI implementation - dreadfully clunky.

Best of luck with you new EE soon to be BT service.

| Mon 16 May 2016 11:13:17 #2 |
  3. User has not uploaded an avatar

surfer

Yes its not in deep sleep, in fact that's an option you turn off when selecting to use the EE app, which by the way allows for external recordings to be set up, something i think 4000t owners are still waiting to have. Also if you set up the EE box to use its "replay and restart' option then it would never go into deep sleep mode, and most people will be wanting app use with the box, so I doubt many people will have boxes in deep sleep.

Also as a matter of note, I constantly had to have my humax box on! I couldnt let it go into even standby, as that then would corrupt my surround sound soundbar due to its hdmi cec problem or whatever it was called!

I've still got my panasonic as well mines model DMR HWT230, I only moved from that to the Humax to be able to record more programs at a time, I found it quite usable, and if there newer models of FVP had more than 2 tuners I would of bought another.

But I'm very happy with EE TV, this is my first box of this type, never had BT or Sky or Virgin offerings, but BT are first out the blocks with 4k, out of them, but that will be a new telly lol.

| Mon 16 May 2016 12:17:17 #3 |
  4. User has not uploaded an avatar

Faust

special member

surfer - 1 hour ago  » 
    Yes its not in deep sleep, in fact that's an option you turn off when selecting to use the EE app, which by the way allows for external recordings to be set up, something i think 4000t owners are still waiting to have. Also if you set up the EE box to use its "replay and restart' option then it would never go into deep sleep mode, and most people will be wanting app use with the box, so I doubt many people will have boxes in deep sleep.
    Also as a matter of note, I constantly had to have my humax box on! I couldnt let it go into even standby, as that then would corrupt my surround sound soundbar due to its hdmi cec problem or whatever it was called!
    I've still got my panasonic as well mines model DMR HWT230, I only moved from that to the Humax to be able to record more programs at a time, I found it quite usable, and if there newer models of FVP had more than 2 tuners I would of bought another.
    But I'm very happy with EE TV, this is my first box of this type, never had BT or Sky or Virgin offerings, but BT are first out the blocks with 4k, out of them, but that will be a new telly lol.

You don't get those sort of audio problems with Sonos - much better implementation of audio through optical. I have the smaller HDD version of your HWT 230. It is useable but to call the Humax UI bad whilst heaping praise on the Panny had me somewhat bemused. It's pretty dreadful and has its roots in their ageing range of DVDRs which I also own. The problem with the recording app on all PVRs is that they will keep calling home quite regularly meaning the HDD is spinning up and down so not what you really want.

As said previously good luck with your EE box though don't kid yourself it's any better than the Freesat 1000s/1100s series.

| Mon 16 May 2016 13:29:32 #4 |

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.