My Humax Forum » Miscellaneous » The Lounge

Sound bars

(7 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

Jem8472

So I have a Humax HDR connected up to a LG TV.

When we play stuff on the Humax we have the normal problem of the sound being low and having to turn the TV up but as its a flat screen and only small speakers its still not that great.

So I was thinking about getting a sound bar to go under the TV. I would love to have a surround sound system but the wife is not keen on it.

Are sound bars any good? Would it be worth getting one with an optical in so I can connect the Humax box strait to it?

Or are they just a bit rubbish and would be better with a 2.1 system? Thanks

| Fri 27 Apr 2012 11:33:09 #1 |
  2. aldaweb

aldaweb

administrator

Don't know about sound bars but have you got the volume turned up on the HDR? default volume is about 50% and can seem very low.

| Fri 27 Apr 2012 19:52:32 #2 |
  3. User has not uploaded an avatar

Jem8472

Yes we have the HDR on full. I think its mainly down to small speakers in the flat tv.

| Fri 27 Apr 2012 21:28:46 #3 |
  4. gomezz

gomezz

special member

Do you already have a music stereo system in the same room as the TV. You could use that to improve the sound quality from the TV though you may want to site the speakers either side of the TV to give a reasonable sound stage.

I actually have my hi-fi speakers behind my viewing seat but which I often prefer to my AV amp and speakers when viewing music programmes (with the left and right jacks from the TV swapped over of course.

| Sat 28 Apr 2012 17:53:08 #4 |
  5. User has not uploaded an avatar

dws123

A special loudspeaker which creates a reasonable stereo or surround sound effect from a single cabinet is refer an sound bar. They are much wider than they are tall, partly for acoustical reasons, but also they can be mounted above or below a display device e.g. above a computer monitor or under a television or home theater screen.

Attachments

1. images.jpg (6.5 KB, 3 downloads) 11 years old
    | Mon 6 Aug 2012 10:14:58 #5 |
  6. User has not uploaded an avatar

johnboy1

Hi guys
    I have ysp2200 which is excellent and transforms the lousy sound from my LG tv 37 ".Its not cheap around £700 but its good.Has separate sub speaker non powered

It connects ok with hdmi
    blue ray sound is incredible

Hope this helps
    johnboy1

| Mon 6 Aug 2012 14:59:09 #6 |
  7. John the Met

John the Met

Hi All.
    I have a Panasonic sound bar had have found that it produces very good results.

http://www.which.co.uk/technology/tv-and-dvd/reviews/sound-bars/

I have attached a link that you should find useful.

Be careful when choosing a sound bar that your TV supports the connection the connections that the sound bar requires. My TV and sound bar communicate via a digital optical (TOS) link.

| Mon 3 Dec 2012 13:27:43 #7 |

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.