My Humax Forum » Freeview HD » FVP 4000T, 5000T

SSD in FVP-4000T

(7 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

johnnice

Has anyone done this? My HD is getting quite audible and the box is rather warm to the touch. Any ideas welcome.

John

| Tue 11 Jun 2019 13:41:54 #1 |
  2. User has not uploaded an avatar

Faust

special member

As far as I'm aware SSD' are not designed to be used in a PVR environment, nor are they a cost effective solution.

| Tue 11 Jun 2019 13:53:26 #2 |
  3. REPASSAC

REPASSAC

special member

I think it is the other way around - PVR's and their chipsets are nor designed to use SSD. I would not expect to realise the speed advantage obtained by a PC.

I don't think anyone, that posts on the main forums at least, has tried a SSD yet.

| Tue 11 Jun 2019 14:12:32 #3 |
  4. User has not uploaded an avatar

Martin Liddle

special member

johnnice - 1 hour ago  » 
    Has anyone done this? My HD is getting quite audible and the box is rather warm to the touch.

A good quality modern SSD should work in a PVR and have a lifetime in excess of five years. However the only advantage would be the elimination of hard drive noise. Conventional hard drives have more than adequate performance.

| Tue 11 Jun 2019 15:16:18 #4 |
  5. User has not uploaded an avatar

Faust

special member

There is also the issue of TRIM with an SSD plus write cycles. Given a PVR is constantly writing to the buffer I would expect this to affect the longevity of an SSD, though given I don't know anyone who has installed one this is just speculation.

| Tue 11 Jun 2019 16:32:34 #5 |
  6. User has not uploaded an avatar

Pollensa1946

special member

An SSD in a Humax PVR is untried on this forum. If it works it will run cooler but with zero impact on performance and 4 times the cost of a HDD. I am using a WD surveillance HDD in my 1000S, completely silent and cool. Why not be the first and report back.

| Tue 11 Jun 2019 21:01:36 #6 |
  7. User has not uploaded an avatar

Martin Liddle

special member

Faust - 4 hours ago  » 
    Given a PVR is constantly writing to the buffer I would expect this to affect the longevity of an SSD.

If you bother to do the arithmetic you will find a modern SSD will comfortably last five years in a PVR as I stated. I don't advocate using an SSD because the benefits are minimal.

| Tue 11 Jun 2019 21:09:02 #7 |

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.