My Humax Forum » Freesat HD » FOXSAT HDR

Storage space

(10 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

Alan White

I'm a bit puzzled by the storage space reported.

In the Media menu it says 8% TV, 8% radio, 0%music, 0%photo
    In the HDD Control menu it says video/radio 407.8Gb free (88%), 55.7Gb used (12%); music/photo 26.2Gb free (99%), 0.1%used (1%)
    In the web interface it says total 431.8Gb, used 51.9Gb (13%)

I don't have any radio recordings so why does the Media menu say I've used 8%?

Adding together the space in the HDD Control gives 489.8Gb. This isn't 500Gb but I guess Humax is doing the same sneaky trick as disk manufacturers. But where does the 431Gb reported by the web interface come from? And the 51.9Gb?

What's the 26.2Gb music/photo space? I don't have any music/photo. Can I use this 26Gb for TV recordings?

| Sat 1 Sep 2012 17:06:03 #1 |
  2. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

You can reduce the Music/Photo partition to a minimum size of 1GB.

To do so you have to elect to format both partitions, losing all your recordings and I imagine the custom firmware. If you want to try this copy all the recordings you haven't watched before formatting.

| Sat 1 Sep 2012 17:11:23 #2 |
  3. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

grahamlthompson - 25 seconds ago  » 
    To do so you have to elect to format both partitions, losing all your recordings and I imagine the custom firmware (if you have it installed). If you want to try this copy all the recordings you haven't watched before formatting.

| Sat 1 Sep 2012 17:12:11 #3 |
  4. User has not uploaded an avatar

Alan White

grahamlthompson - 3 minutes ago  » 
    To do so you have to elect to format both partitions, losing all your recordings and I imagine the custom firmware. If you want to try this copy all the recordings you haven't watched before formatting.

Thanks. I assume the size can be specified at format time, and I could copy all recordings to my PC then back again after the format.

Sounds like something to be done if ever I don't have much recorded - it's amazing how quickly these boxes fill up :D.

| Sat 1 Sep 2012 17:17:59 #4 |
  5. User has not uploaded an avatar

Partridge2

Alan, this is to do with the way the hard disk is partitioned on the HDR, and also the commands used in the web interface to ascertain the free space.

Out of the box, the music/photos folders are on a different partition of the hard drive than the video/radio recordings. So without re-partitioning the hard drive you cant use those 26 GB for video/radio recordings. More info here:
    http://foxsatdisk.wikispaces.com/The+HDR+filesystem

The commands used by the web interface to ascertain free space are a little inaccurate (if I remember right to do with the way the root allocation is treated).... bottom line is that the web interface numbers (and the grapic at the top right of the screen) are a decent indication; if you need it really accurate then use the on-screen display. More info here:
    http://www.avforums.com/forums/freesat/1562163-web-interface-v2-5-foxsat-hdr.html#post16035481

| Sat 1 Sep 2012 17:21:31 #5 |
  6. User has not uploaded an avatar

Partridge2

Sounds like something to be done if ever I don't have much recorded - it's amazing how quickly these boxes fill up :D.

You can also replace the HDD in the HDR with a larger one, or add an additional external USB to store recordings.

| Sat 1 Sep 2012 17:23:22 #6 |
  7. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

Alan White - 12 minutes ago  » 

grahamlthompson - 3 minutes ago  » 

Thanks. I assume the size can be specified at format time, and I could copy all recordings to my PC then back again after the format.

When you select both partitions in the format menu you get a slider to adjust the partition sizes.

| Sat 1 Sep 2012 17:31:56 #7 |
  8. User has not uploaded an avatar

Alan White

Partridge2 - 16 minutes ago  » 
    Alan, this is to do with the way the hard disk is partitioned on the HDR, and also the commands used in the web interface to ascertain the free space.

Thanks for the background. Something for the future, I think. With 500Gb-ish on the Foxsat and 320Gb-ish on the 9300 I need to spend a lot more time watching TV

| Sat 1 Sep 2012 17:40:18 #8 |
  9. User has not uploaded an avatar

Partridge2

For disk space management you might also be interested in the Housekeeper plug-in written by swedish cook, which enables recordings to be deleted automatically if (for example) more than x weeks old, or keep only the newest y episode of a series recording.

Can be installed via the web interface / Package Management.

More info here:
    http://www.avforums.com/forums/freesat/1512463-hdr-housekeeper-v3-release.html

| Sat 1 Sep 2012 17:49:13 #9 |
  10. User has not uploaded an avatar

Alan White

Partridge2 - 55 minutes ago  » 
    For disk space management you might also be interested in the Housekeeper plug-in written by swedish cook, which enables recordings to be deleted automatically

Thanks for the pointer. I installed it and had a quick look. It seems to be very complicated and I don't really have a need for it at the moment. I'd also be concerned about inadvertently deleting programmes.

A useful option for it would be to only delete files if the available disk space is less than a user-defined value. After all, there's no need to delete if the disk has 90% free

| Sat 1 Sep 2012 18:52:17 #10 |

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.