My Humax Forum » Freeview HD » HDR FOX T2

Streaming HDR Fox T2 to HD Fox T2

(5 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

yummy-hummy

For the last 2 years I have had no problem streaming recorded TV via wireless home network from my HDR to HD unit. Recently, the playback has 'stuttered' (as if it was buffering) and occasionally collapses back to the recorded list. Now it recognises the recorded TV items but will not/cannot connect to them at all. Any ideas?

| Thu 20 Jun 2013 11:38:46 #1 |
  2. User has not uploaded an avatar

Martin Liddle

special member

yummy-hummy - 1 hour ago  » 
    For the last 2 years I have had no problem streaming recorded TV via wireless home network from my HDR to HD unit. Recently, the playback has 'stuttered' (as if it was buffering) and occasionally collapses back to the recorded list. Now it recognises the recorded TV items but will not/cannot connect to them at all.

How are the HD and HDR connected (hard wired network connection, homeplugs, WiFi)?

| Thu 20 Jun 2013 12:40:11 #2 |
  3. athomson

athomson

special member

Maybe your router is 'showing its age'? I have heard that some routers have problems due to the wireless chip set after a year or two. Here is an exert from a review of a Billion router:

The 7800N seemed worthy of the 5 star reviews at first. Unfortunately it turns out that it's highly prone to wireless failure after a year or two, as a quick Internet search will reveal. Instead of having surface mounted Wifi chips, it contains a cheap Ralink mini-PCI card held in place by the liberal dollops of the notorious "brown glue" that slowly absorbs moisture from the air and turns into an acidic conductor that will either eat the circuit board or short it out. This process took a little over 2 years in my case, just long enough for the warranty to run out.

Have you any other wireless devices that you could run something like inSSIDer for Android or Windows on and monitor your wireless signal strength?

Andy

| Thu 20 Jun 2013 12:42:13 #3 |
  4. User has not uploaded an avatar

yummy-hummy

They're connected wirelessly through the home network

| Thu 20 Jun 2013 13:31:06 #4 |
  5. User has not uploaded an avatar

yummy-hummy

That's an interesting point, because I do have concerns that my router might not be peforming as well as expected. On the other hand, I have no problem using the TV Portal and streaming iPlayer. That would be relying on both the broadband connection being fast enough (happened to check yesterday, it's between 3.6 & 4.2, which is good considering my broadband is delivered along 2 copper wires and I'm the most remote connection from the exchange). When trying to stream from one unit to the other, I would only be using the wireless network, and not the broadband.)

athomson - 49 minutes ago  » 
    Maybe your router is 'showing its age'? I have heard that some routers have problems due to the wireless chip set after a year or two. Here is an exert from a review of a Billion router:
    The 7800N seemed worthy of the 5 star reviews at first. Unfortunately it turns out that it's highly prone to wireless failure after a year or two, as a quick Internet search will reveal. Instead of having surface mounted Wifi chips, it contains a cheap Ralink mini-PCI card held in place by the liberal dollops of the notorious "brown glue" that slowly absorbs moisture from the air and turns into an acidic conductor that will either eat the circuit board or short it out. This process took a little over 2 years in my case, just long enough for the warranty to run out.

Have you any other wireless devices that you could run something like inSSIDer for Android or Windows on and monitor your wireless signal strength?
    Andy

| Thu 20 Jun 2013 13:34:35 #5 |

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.