My Humax Forum » Freeview HD » HDR FOX T2

Streaming Media between Two HDR FOX T2's

(6 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

N1ck1977

I've got two HDR FOX T2's set up on my home network, both are set up for FTP & Media Sharing and both can see my NAS media server, but neither can see each other? I can see both streaming via my PC.

Is it possible to set up the two HDR boxes to stream media between each other...i.e. have a program recorded on one that you can watch on the other? I've seen mention that it's possible to receive via the HD FOX T2 from a HDR, but can't see mention of it being done between two HDR's.

Thanks

| Wed 6 Mar 2013 18:13:04 #1 |
  2. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

Check you have turned on content share on both boxes.

| Wed 6 Mar 2013 18:24:15 #2 |
  3. User has not uploaded an avatar

N1ck1977

Yeah, it's on for both. I'm happy to continue investigating but just wanted reassurance it was possible as I've ticked off all the obvious stuff. Wasn't sure if the HDR just assume it was seeing itself on the network so wouldn't register it???? Random thinking I know!
    Cheers

| Wed 6 Mar 2013 18:26:34 #3 |
  4. User has not uploaded an avatar

damian

special member

I've a HD and HDR and they tend to work well together, however I do get problems every now and again with devices becoming visible/available over the network and there doesn't seem to be anything I can click-on to make it work, sometimes I have to wait or reboot everything.
    If you've changed the network settings on either box then you'll need to reboot.

With 2 HDR's it's well worth you taking time to install the custom firmware, you'll be able to change the hostnames and there is a utility called foxlink which should solve all your problems between the 2 boxes, I've not used foxlink as there's been no need as my HD/HDR work fine, but it looks promising and it'd be the first thing I'd turn to.

A big thank you to the people out there who make the custom firmware possible, it really is the bee's knees and anybody who hasn't taken a look it opens up your box/boxes and makes the HD/HDR a real pleasure to use.

| Wed 6 Mar 2013 21:41:55 #4 |
  5. User has not uploaded an avatar

N1ck1977

Thanks Damian, will look into the custom firmware and see how I get on. Out of interest, does custom firmware invalidate the warranty?

| Wed 6 Mar 2013 22:27:09 #5 |
  6. User has not uploaded an avatar

damian

special member

A bit of a grey area, there's an option to remove all the custom firmware, however the box needs to be working to do this so if the power supply's blown up or similar and nothing works it's going to be difficult to remove the extra custom code off the hard drive.
    The retailer would never know and humax would replace any defective part and factory reset it, they're not going to bother with content on the hard drive imho.
    Also adding custom firmware content isn't a million miles away from adding media content, neither affect the hardware or core software functions, that's my excuse.

You're asking somebody who broke the seal and swapped the hard drive over for a bigger one the first day I got mine (just shows how much trust I have in Humax hardware, my box just wasn't going to fail) so I might not be the best person to ask.

The custom firmware doesn't break any seals and can be removed. At the end of the day it's your decision, however it turns a good box into a brilliant box and I'm sure humax benefit from it.

Humax have locked down their newer boxes and it's causing massive problems for them, encrypted partitions that only need a corrupted boot to render the box useless, massive problems with the file system either stuck at ~30% or a number of files, HD needing to be re-formatted and a whole host of other stuff which is being discovered at the moment by users and because it's locked down nobody can take a look inside and put things right.

Locking down may be a freesat/freeview requirement just like copyright protection, however this only creates a real market for pirates who spend a couple of hundred quid on kit to by-pass it. Talk about a*** about face. Meanwhile it stops normal users diagnosing simple problems.

So Nick, back to your question, no idea, take a look, put it on one box and I'm sure you'll be imnpressed

| Wed 6 Mar 2013 23:46:09 #6 |

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.