My Humax Forum » Freesat HD » FOXSAT HDR

Streaming to HDR from NAS question.

(2 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

stonesman

Hi,

I bought a Seagate 2TB goflex drive a couple of months ago to back up data from my laptop.

I now want to use it to create a NAS system by using a network adapter - ideally something the humax can stream to and from... Is this possible?

I'm looking at either the Seagate FreeAgent DockStar or the Dlink 2 bay share centre.

Are either of these adapters more suited to the HDR?

My tec knowledge is limited... Sorry!

Cheers...

| Sun 11 Mar 2012 8:33:59 #1 |
  2. User has not uploaded an avatar

dino

special member

Stonesman,

I've you've got a standard HDR, it doesn't do much over the network. It can play BBC iPlayer etc from the Internet and one or two other things.

If you've installed the additional custom firmware on your HDR, it has more network functionality and it is possible to transfer files to and from the HDR over your home network. Your NAS will be on the network, so it will be possible to copy between the two devices, possibly using an intermediate device like a PC.

'Streaming' usually means something slightly different. It usually implies playing a file saved on one machine on the screen of another. With the custom firmware, you can stream from the HDR to other devices, i.e. watch a TV program recorded on the HDR on another networked device like a PC.

You can't, as far as I am aware, 'stream' to the HDR from a NAS. i.e. you can't play a media file saved on a NAS using the HDR.

However, you can take a media file saved on another device, e.g. a NAS, edit it on a PC into a form the HDR will understand and then transfer it to the HDR and then play it.

NAS is generic Network Attached Storage. They often incorporate media streaming capability, but as the HDR isn't (yet) capable of receiving a media stream, there isn't any particular one that is compatible with the HDR. I use a Synology NAS.

HTH.

Dino

| Sun 11 Mar 2012 9:05:18 #2 |

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.