My Humax Forum » Freeview HD » FVP 4000T, 5000T

Stuttering picture and sound

(18 posts)
  1. chickenlegs

chickenlegs

Thank you Martin. This seems to have solved one issue and created another! I have set the power management option to OFF which allows the pass through of the TV signal to the TV. However, after the factory reset, I now don't get sound to pass through the HDMI route from TV to my Sonos system. My set up is: HDMI from Humax is plugged into one HDMIARC socket on my TV, the HDMI cable from my Sonos Beam is plugged into another HDMIARC socket. This set up worked perfectly before the factory reset and the TV's audio output switched from TV speakers to the Sonos without any issues. Now what happens is, if the Humax is in standby mode, I get live TV to the TV but only sound via the TV speakers. I used to get a message pop up saying that the sound system was switching over, but this message does not now appear. If I go to the sound settings on the TV and choose the HDMI output, I get a message 'Cannot change output, TV speakers are active'. If I then switch the Humax on, the Sonos will then receive sound from the TV and presumably any played recordings.
    Can anyone suggest why this has changed from a working state and is the only solution to switch the Humax on every time we want to watch the TV?

| Sat 17 Aug 2024 10:26:40 #11 |
  2. User has not uploaded an avatar

Martin Liddle

special member

chickenlegs - 1 day ago  » 
    Now what happens is, if the Humax is in standby mode, I get live TV to the TV but only sound via the TV speakers. I used to get a message pop up saying that the sound system was switching over, but this message does not now appear. If I go to the sound settings on the TV and choose the HDMI output, I get a message 'Cannot change output, TV speakers are active'. If I then switch the Humax on, the Sonos will then receive sound from the TV and presumably any played recordings.
    Can anyone suggest why this has changed from a working state and is the only solution to switch the Humax on every time we want to watch the TV?

I would have a look at the Audio Settings in General Settings on the Humax to see if there is anything relevant.

| Sun 18 Aug 2024 15:40:28 #12 |
  3. chickenlegs

chickenlegs

Thank you Martin. I must have looked at the audio settings in the Humax and TV a hundred times! I have also investigated and tried different variations of the HDMI-CEC settings in both the Humax and TV (called EasyLink on the TV) to see if I could set the TV to automatically switch the Humax on and off from the TV remote in order that we get sound directed to our Sonos Beam. No joy. It would appear that not every piece of AV equipment is compatible with another under HDMI-CEC. I have reverted to HDMI-CEC being off on both TV and Humax.
    In addition, I have also done a bit of research into things called CEC-Less adapters that apparently stop rogue HDMI signals. I have sent an email to Humax and if the answer is less than helpful, I might invest in one of these to see if it solves the issue.
    Again, the most frustrating thing is that the sound transfer and switching was never an issue prior to the factory reset and the cables and connection points are the same too. I wonder if the firmware/ software that came with the reinstall is newer than the version we had been using as I can't understand why this new issue has arisen.
    I'm not sure that the stuttering picture has gone away entirely yet as I seem to have spent most of my time trying to sort out the HDMI problem.

| Sun 18 Aug 2024 17:35:28 #13 |
  4. User has not uploaded an avatar

Martin Liddle

special member

chickenlegs - 52 mins ago  » 
    Again, the most frustrating thing is that the sound transfer and switching was never an issue prior to the factory reset and the cables and connection points are the same too. I wonder if the firmware/ software that came with the reinstall is newer than the version we had been using as I can't understand why this new issue has arisen.

The factory reset will have defaulted all the settings but as I don't use a soundbar I can't tell you which setting is likely to be the culprit.

| Sun 18 Aug 2024 18:30:28 #14 |
  5. User has not uploaded an avatar

trog

special member

chickenlegs - 1 hour ago I have also investigated and tried different variations of the HDMI-CEC settings in both the Humax and TV (called EasyLink on the TV) to see if I could set the TV to automatically switch the Humax on and off from the TV remote in order that we get sound directed to our Sonos Beam. No joy. It would appear that not every piece of AV equipment is compatible with another under HDMI-CEC.

This is why I previously suggested it may be a HDMI and not a RF issue. I use an AV amp and it worked fine with my old TV but when I replaced it with a Samsung no matter what I tried I could not get sound through HDMI from my TV to Amp to my 7.1 speakers. The only solution was to use an inferior optical cable for TV audio. I use my Aura for all TV viewing so it was not a big issue.

| Sun 18 Aug 2024 19:02:12 #15 |
  6. chickenlegs

chickenlegs

I fear this reply might elicit an "of course that's how it works" response!
    The latest is that Humax customer support suggested looking at the Audio settings but didn't actually suggest what I might do with them. I am even more convinced that the original and subsequent problem stemmed from an HDMI-CEC issue with the Humax effectively cutting the audio and video loop-through and turning this off didn't help.
    However, I decided to try the HDMI-CEC option again and switched this on on the Humax as well as all of the various CEC settings on the TV and tried this again. Previously, I thought that the TV remote would be the one that would be able to control both the TV and Humax, but I was wrong! The Humax remote, with CEC activated, switches on the Humax and the TV, establishes the correct source on the TV for the Humax's HDMI port and allows the audio to be switched from the TV speakers to our Sonos Beam and connects the video signal from the aerial to the TV. The only time we need the TV remote is to adjust the volume of the Sonos system, which we are OK with.
    We are happy to continue on this basis as it would seem to have corrected the video stuttering problem and resolved the other problems encountered after the factory reset.
    Thank you again for your help.

| Thu 22 Aug 2024 10:32:00 #16 |
  7. User has not uploaded an avatar

Martin Liddle

special member

chickenlegs - 8 hours ago  » 
    Previously, I thought that the TV remote would be the one that would be able to control both the TV and Humax, but I was wrong!

Try pointing the remote at the Aura and pressing the Red button and OK for 3 seconds. Each time you do that it toggles between the Aura remote controlling sound and the TV remote controlling sound.

| Thu 22 Aug 2024 18:43:55 #17 |
  8. chickenlegs

chickenlegs

Hello Martin. I don't have the Aura. I have an FVP-5000T. Your tip is not covered in the manual. Do you have experience of this technique working on my model?

| Fri 23 Aug 2024 8:56:34 #18 |

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.