My Humax Forum » Freesat HD » HDR 1000, 1010, 1100S

Subtitles on playback going out of sync

(15 posts)
  1. Hammy

Hammy

Hi,

I have two Humax 1100s and the subtitles on recordings will frequently jump significantly ahead of the audio on both boxes.

This can be brought back into sync by stopping and resuming playback. There is no problem with subtitles on live TV. The problem is new(ish) and appears to have got much worse lately (happening every few minutes).

Since the problem is apparent on 2 independent 1100s I have to assume it is a firmware problem, or possibly a broadcaster problem (?) as suggested via a google search and where I found an older similar posting.

Both boxes have the latest firmware update (UKFSA 3.00.96)

| Thu 7 Feb 2019 11:01:03 #1 |
  2. User has not uploaded an avatar

Dodie117

Hi Hammy. Did you manage to get any help with this. I too have 1100s and subtitles behaving like you described

| Tue 28 May 2019 2:43:33 #2 |
  3. Hammy

Hammy

Hi,

No, the problem continues

I don't think it is happening on all the channels - it is definitely happening pretty much on every recording from ITVhd. I have read elsewhere suggestions that it is a transmission problem with some channels, but surely those channels would/should review their subtitle setup to reflect those successfully working with subtitles on recorded progammes.

The 'best solution' I have is to set the "instant replay" to 15 seconds and use this whenever the subtitles jump ahead. This brings them back into sync, but it is still very annoying to see some comment suddenly 'appearing from the future'.

I doubt it is a fault with our boxes or their setup, it's either the firmware in the boxes or something lacking in the recorded transmission (I must check to see if it reproduceable at the same places in the same recordings).

Surely others must have the same problem ??

--
    HammY

| Tue 28 May 2019 12:25:09 #3 |
  4. User has not uploaded an avatar

Dodie117

Hi
    Thanks for getting back to me. I cantacted humax and this is their reply. I haven’t had a chance to try it yet.
    Let me know if it works.

“Thank you for contacting Humax, I'm sorry to hear about the trouble you're experiencing with your Humax equipment.

There is a section in the settings for subtitles. Please follow the steps below to help with the subtitle issue:

HOME
    SETTINGS
    GENERAL SETTINGS
    ACCESSIBILITY
    SUBTITLES
    FONT
    Change the font settings from Variable to Fixed

Best Regards,

| Tue 28 May 2019 13:03:30 #4 |
  5. User has not uploaded an avatar

Dodie117

| Tue 28 May 2019 13:04:19 #5 |
  6. User has not uploaded an avatar

JorDec

I have tried everything to stop this happening, including changing the subtitle font from ‘variable to ‘fixed’ then back to ‘variable’ when that didn’t work. This has not solved the issue and it’s driving me to distraction. The only way I can correct it is to click rewind then immediately press Play again. Humax seriously need to sort this out as my husband is profoundly deaf and e can’t watch a programme without the subtitles.

| Mon 13 Jul 2020 20:37:10 #6 |
  7. User has not uploaded an avatar

Dodie117

It doesn’t seem to be happening as much on mine anymore. Not sure when it improved. Have you ever updated the software?

| Tue 14 Jul 2020 12:36:29 #7 |
  8. User has not uploaded an avatar

JorDec

Hi again, I’ve done everything that Humax support has advised, rebooting, doing a factory reset and losing all of my recordings etc. I’ve tried everything and still the problem persists. Humax asked if it happens on BBC1 and although I’d never noticed, when I checked, it doesn’t. Strange that this is what they obviously suspected! They have now decided that it isn’t anything they can help with. I am having to give this box away now and get a replacement, which will definitely not be a Humax. This problem is probably far bigger than they realise, as many people don’t rely on subtitles, so would never know. Unfortunately my hubby is profoundly deaf, so this is unbelievably frustrating for us and affects anything that is recorded or paused/rewound etc. Humax are refusing to help further, so I’ll just have to make sure that as many people as possible are aware, not only of the issue, but of the aftercare.

| Fri 2 Oct 2020 10:41:39 #8 |
  9. User has not uploaded an avatar

Dodie117

I agree and it is very frustrating. However, I have noticed that mine is quite a lot better now and although it still happens, not as much as in the past. I have no idea why this might be. On mine it seems to be mainly channel 4. Maybe I record more of channel 4 than other channels. It’s a mystery to me but as it is at the moment, I can live with it. I am partially deaf so need sobtitles. Humax have a good reputation and should be ashamed that they have not solved this issue.

| Fri 2 Oct 2020 12:36:49 #9 |
  10. Hammy

Hammy

This problem still remains and is very annoying. Using a Humax HDR-1100S with latest, but old firmware: UKFSAA 3.00.96

I have the "Instant Replay" set to 15 secs and pressing this will re-sync the subtitles but they will often drift off again. I mostly notice the problem on ITV and CH4 recording. I don't think I have seen the problem on BBC channels (?).

I have been considering upgrading to a newer FreeSat recorder. I am unsure which, but if it were to be a Humax I would want re-assurance from Humax them that I could return the unit if it had this problem.

| Mon 5 Oct 2020 17:45:34 #10 |

RSS feed for this topic

Reply »

You must log in to post.