My Humax Forum » WELCOME to the forums!

Subtitles out of sync

(5 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

Tango

Dear all
    I have the following problem with subtitles going out of sync;
    If I play back a recorded program from the humax, every few minutes the subtitles will stream onto the screen and run ahead of the dialog. The dialog will sometimes catch up if left alone long enough.
    Here is the important bit: if I watch the program live from the humax the subtitles are perfectly OK and if I copy a recorded program from the humax and watch it on a PC it is also perfect.
    I have had a long email dialog with humax support and have done a master reset and re-formatted the HDD as directed, all to no avail.
    I seem to be having difficulty in understanding how this can be a broadcast problem as tech support is telling me, when the only time this happens is when I play back a recorded program from the humax.
    This is a real neusance as I am going deaf, and do not want to be copying files to a PC just to get round this problem.
    So I guess my questions are;
    Can this really be a broadcast problem given the diagnostics above?
    Am I wasting my time with Humax given that this is a South Korean company so the possibility of UK tech people accessing any code here is propably very slim.
    Is there a humax box that works, or other manufacturers for that matter.

Here are the system details:
    HDR-FOX T2
    Software FHTCP 1.03.12
    Loader a7.30
    System ID 80BC.7E00
    Update date 07 FEB 2014
    MICOM Version 9.3

TV Transmitter: Oxford
    Relevant Channel data: C60- PSB2 ITV and C50 COM4 ITV3 (more channels have the problem)

| Wed 11 Nov 2015 18:44:56 #1 |
  2. User has not uploaded an avatar

JamesB

special member

I have a different problem with subtitle synchronisation, on a different Humax box (HB1000S).

When watching a recorded commercial programme(ITV the worst offender by far), if I pause play and then resume, more often than not the subtitles are out of sync. As long as I avoid pausing, it's usually ok. I never watch commercial programmes live so I can't say whether it affects live broadcasts.

This affects only the Humax (not my Panasonic PVR), and only non-BBC programmes. I speculate therefore that in my case it may be an interaction between some quirk of the Humax and some quirk of e.g. ITV's handling of subtitles (i.e., not solely a fault of Humax nor solely a fault of ITV).

It's not a problem for me, I just avoid pause. What you describe would be more annoying.

| Wed 11 Nov 2015 22:03:06 #2 |
  3. User has not uploaded an avatar

Tango

I have not noticed this slip problem on bbc channels as I tend to record commercial channels so as I can skip over the adverts.
    I will record some bbc programs and see what the result is.
    Can I ask, how do you rate the Panasonic pvr?

| Thu 12 Nov 2015 0:08:29 #3 |
  4. User has not uploaded an avatar

JamesB

special member

I've never seen it happen on a BBC programme, and I record a lot of BBC programmes. That's why I think it's partly down to the broadcasters.

The Panasonic box is a Blu-Ray player/HDD recorder. It works very well, but the UI is not what you'd call elegant and the remote is so badly designed you can only feel sorry for it. Good picture, reliable recording.

| Thu 12 Nov 2015 0:33:49 #4 |
  5. User has not uploaded an avatar

Ebenezer

I have exactly the same problem on my Humax-Fox T2 Freeview+ PVR. The subtitles on certain channels, ITV2; ITV3; Drama; 5USA plus a few others. The main channels BBC1 & 2, ITV, Ch4 & 5 are not affected.

It may be a coincidence that the affected channels are all transmitted from Sutton Coldfield on the COM4 Mux. However, I can't see how the transmitter could be at fault as the subtitles appear perfectly on all live channels. My only problem is with those channels mentioned above when watching a recorded programme or if I've paused or rewound a few minutes.

I have exchanged many emails with Humax Support and got nowhere other than the suggestion to reformat the hard drive, which I've done many times to no effect.

I'm considering getting rid of it and trying a different brand PVR.

| Fri 18 Dec 2015 11:08:21 #5 |

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.