My Humax Forum » Freeview HD » FVP 4000T, 5000T

Successful Recording When on Holiday? A Question

(23 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

Pollensa1946

special member

davidrew - 8 hours ago  » ...isn't the whole basic concept of these PVR's to allow us to set a recording schedule and then forget about it? Then the PVR records TV/Radio when we are home or away based on that schedule and then we watch it when we want to?...

Good summary. It took 2 years from launch for the HDR1000S to come good, so owning a Humax product is a journey.

| Mon 24 Sep 2018 9:39:08 #11 |
  2. davidrew

davidrew

special member

Pollensa1946 - 3 hours ago  » 

davidrew - 8 hours ago  » ...isn't the whole basic concept of these PVR's to allow us to set a recording schedule and then forget about it? Then the PVR records TV/Radio when we are home or away based on that schedule and then we watch it when we want to?...

Good summary. It took 2 years from launch for the HDR1000S to come good, so owning a Humax product is a journey.

Agreed the 1000S did suffer some irritating problems early on but was mostly reliable. We had one when they first came out to replace a Foxsat-HDR.

As the original triple tuner 4000T platform was first introduced in October 2015 Humax have had nearly 3 years to sort out the basics. The 5000T, as we understand it, is a rebadged 4000T originally with different software (based on the 4000T code?) which was then made available for the 4000T, so now they are effectively the same box. We presume Humax did not want to maintain two different software streams and concentrate their recourses on one which makes commercial sense but is yet to be reflected in a quality stable release.

Lets hope the long hot summer has concentrated some minds and that a quality release, with at least stable basic functionality, is coming soon.

This is our fourth Humax STB and what's most frustrating is that it has so much potential and is so close to being a great PVR if the niggles were fixed and the basic functions were sorted. It's a pity Pace are no longer in the STB market as some decent competition may have pushed on product development and better quality software sooner.

| Mon 24 Sep 2018 13:33:52 #12 |
  3. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

Just got back from a week in Sardinia. My 5000T recorded everything that was set. I do have a a daily wake up set to populate the epg. No failures in the last week since I got back.

| Mon 24 Sep 2018 21:41:58 #13 |
  4. davidrew

davidrew

special member

grahamlthompson - 2 hours ago  » 
    Just got back from a week in Sardinia. My 5000T recorded everything that was set. I do have a a daily wake up set to populate the epg. No failures in the last week since I got back.

Do you have a specific set-up that you know works?

It's looks as if our box just locked up after 2 days (permanent red light) and would not come out of standby via the remote or the top buttons when we came home. Had to 13Amp reset to get it working again and no recordings after the lockup we think.

Out of interest how is yours wired? Wondering if having the RF Out connected to a powered off TV could be an issue or a problem with HDMI causing the lockup.

Thanks as always for the feedback.

| Tue 25 Sep 2018 0:04:53 #14 |
  5. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

davidrew - 13 hours ago  » 

grahamlthompson - 2 hours ago  » 

Do you have a specific set-up that you know works?
    It's looks as if our box just locked up after 2 days (permanent red light) and would not come out of standby via the remote or the top buttons when we came home. Had to 13Amp reset to get it working again and no recordings after the lockup we think.
    Out of interest how is yours wired? Wondering if having the RF Out connected to a powered off TV could be an issue or a problem with HDMI causing the lockup.
    Thanks as always for the feedback.

Box connected to a local network switch along with other Kit so directly cabled to router. . HDMI out is connected to Yamaha AV receiver along with a HDR-1000S, a LG Blueray player and a HDR-Fox-T2. Pictures and audio are also sent over a Cat 6 link with a infra red return. to a Kitchen TV.

https://blusas.co.uk/mho.php?loc=https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B013T58Z5O/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o08_s00?ie=UTF8&tag=blusas008-21&psc=1

5000T box is left in low power sby.

It has a daily power on timer set at 07:00 Channel 101 Volume 10 Repeat Daily

And a power off timer set at 07:15

| Tue 25 Sep 2018 13:34:23 #15 |
  6. davidrew

davidrew

special member

Thanks Graham

Basically the same set-up as ours except we have an XBOX instead of the Fox and Blueray pugged to our Yamaha AV and no fancy Cat 6 link.

The 5000T has Power Saving Mode set of OFF at the moment - will change that.

The RF out on the 5000T is now useless with the signal attenuator on the input as the TV's Freeview tuner can now see no channels so this will be removed and alternatively wired.

The power on/off is the same as yours but for 05:00 to 06:00.

| Tue 25 Sep 2018 17:24:19 #16 |
  7. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

davidrew - 3 hours ago  » 
    Thanks Graham
    Basically the same set-up as ours except we have an XBOX instead of the Fox and Blueray pugged to our Yamaha AV and no fancy Cat 6 link.
    The 5000T has Power Saving Mode set of OFF at the moment - will change that.
    The RF out on the 5000T is now useless with the signal attenuator on the input as the TV's Freeview tuner can now see no channels so this will be removed and alternatively wired.

The power on/off is the same as yours but for 05:00 to 06:00.

Might be worth setting the same times as me as not sure what time overnight housekeeping takes place. After much experimentation found for some reason housekeeping deletes the cached epg. As a result the epg refresh needs to be after housekeeping has deleted the cached epg.

Recommend you buy a flat cat 6 cable long enough to reach the remote TV. You get stereo sound and 1080p 50 pictures. On our 24" FULL HD Kitchen TV the pictures are excellent. A massive improvement over a PAL modulator.

I didn't mention this but I have a HDMI Matrix switch wired into my system that lets me send any of the connected Kit to the Kitchen TV independently of the lounge main TV. So the better half can watch her own recordings. As a result only 1 input to the amp is required with the main zone output only needed.

Flat Cat 6 cable is very easy to run.

I might be persuaded to create a connections diagram.

This is the switch that makes it all possible

https://blusas.co.uk/mho.php?loc=https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00JAFQ98I/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&tag=blusas008-21&psc=1

What Yamaha AV receiver have you got ? Mine has only one main zone output which with the above switch isn't an issue

My grandson connects a HD games console to the front AV Input which can also be sent in Full HD to the Remote TV and the local TV.

| Tue 25 Sep 2018 21:12:26 #17 |
  8. User has not uploaded an avatar

pigolato

Just back from 4 weeks away from home to find the Humax box had frozen, like the OP, and needed a mains switch off/on to wake it up again. No recordings after Aug 29th. Not happy.
    I'll try the daily power timer as above, but really this shouldn't be necessary.

| Wed 26 Sep 2018 9:19:38 #18 |
  9. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

pigolato - 2 hours ago  » 
    Just back from 4 weeks away from home to find the Humax box had frozen, like the OP, and needed a mains switch off/on to wake it up again. No recordings after Aug 29th. Not happy.
    I'll try the daily power timer as above, but really this shouldn't be necessary.

Have you got padding set or is on time and off time set to Auto ?

| Wed 26 Sep 2018 11:59:15 #19 |
  10. User has not uploaded an avatar

pigolato

grahamlthompson - 15 minutes ago  » 

pigolato - 2 hours ago  » 

Have you got padding set or is on time and off time set to Auto ?

No padding set, on time and off time set to auto.

| Wed 26 Sep 2018 12:15:33 #20 |

RSS feed for this topic

Reply »

You must log in to post.