My Humax Forum » WELCOME to the forums!

Switching from freesat to freeview.

(6 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

bellevueace

Hi
    Since i bought my foxsat HDR box ive only been watching the freesat channels, can you just simply switch from freesat to freeview and back whilst retaining all channels in both modes? As the box has been fine im a bit reluctant to mess with it in case i give myself some problem or other. Am i right in thinking i would have to do a manual scan and this would store the channels alongside the freesat channels to view as and when i switch modes? Also how would you switch to and fro between the two. Many Thanks.

| Sat 6 Jun 2015 15:50:51 #1 |
  2. User has not uploaded an avatar

JamesB

special member

You can't switch from Freesat to Freeview unless the device you're using has both a satellite tuner (for Freesat) and a digital terrestrial tuner (for Freeview). Some TVs have both, but most STBs don't. The Foxsat HDR is satellite only.

| Sat 6 Jun 2015 16:05:58 #2 |
  3. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

Manual tune on a Foxsat-hdr adds satellite channels to non-freesat mode. There is a lot of channels (mostly rubbish) that aren't on the Freesat epg, if you do a full scan you get all the freesat channels plus many others and an extra menu option to switch modes. In non freesat-mode (enabled by manually adding channels) there is no epg other than now/next and only manually started recordings.

In effect the box becomes a generic free to air satellite box.

List of channels here

http://en.kingofsat.net/freqs.php?&pos=28.2E&standard=All&ordre=freq&filtre=Clear

| Sat 6 Jun 2015 18:13:09 #3 |
  4. gomezz

gomezz

special member

What the OP can do is switch between watching the Freeview channels on their TV set (assuming it has a terrestrial aerial feed) and the Freesat channels on their Foxsat HDR by switching input mode on the TV.

There are only a few channels on Freeview that are not on Freesat to make this worthwhile (eg Dave) but it also means that you can watch any channel on Freeview while recording two other programmes on the Foxsat HDR which has the side effect of possibly limiting channel choice.

| Sat 6 Jun 2015 19:09:10 #4 |
  5. User has not uploaded an avatar

bellevueace

Thanks very much for the replies, looking at the list of channels available in freeview mode theres so much you wouldnt bother with, the freesat does seem the far better option, at least i know how to switch modes if i ever decide to.

| Sun 7 Jun 2015 11:35:25 #5 |
  6. User has not uploaded an avatar

JamesB

special member

Do you mean Freeview, or do you mean non-Freesat mode? Non-Freesat channels are extremely likely to be stuff you wouldn't bother with, given that their owners have already calculated it's not worth paying the charge to get them on the Freesat EPG.

Comparing Freesat to Freeview, the lineup of watchable channels is pretty similar on Freesat and Freeview, to me (going by my own opinion of what's watchable). Freeview has the advantage of wider availability. I could easily end up dropping Freesat, for instance if I moved to a house with no dish. I'd only drop Freeview if I moved to an area with very poor reception.

This equation could change, depending on the spectrum wars.

| Sun 7 Jun 2015 12:28:22 #6 |

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.