My Humax Forum » Freeview HD » YouView DTR-T

TalkTalk buys Blinkbox

(7 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

JamesB

special member

As rumoured.

http://advanced-television.com/2015/01/08/talktalk-buys-blinkbox-movies-and-tesco-broadband-base/

Could mean the player will appear on YouView boxes.

| Thu 8 Jan 2015 11:15:14 #1 |
  2. gomezz

gomezz

special member

I have series 4 of Game of Thrones downloaded from Blinkbox to my laptop ready to watch for when the bad weather comes. Do I needed an active internet connection to play them (as you do for a Sky or BT Youview recording for validation)or will they play regardless given I paid to have them for life?

| Thu 8 Jan 2015 12:46:36 #2 |
  3. User has not uploaded an avatar

JamesB

special member

The current Blinkbox support FAQ says:

When you rent a movie, you’ll be able to watch it for a short period of time, but when you buy it, you’ll own it, so that you can watch it forever on our website and supported devices.

Sounds like you'll need to go online. But TalkTalk could change things.

| Thu 8 Jan 2015 13:04:16 #3 |
  4. User has not uploaded an avatar

JamesB

special member

5. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

E-mail to myself

Hello Graham,

We’re really pleased to let you know that blinkbox Movies is now part of the TalkTalk family.

You can rest assured that your movie-marathons and box-set binges will not be interrupted and there’s nothing you need to do - we just wanted to share the news.

You’ll still be able rent and buy awesome movies and TV even if you’re not a TalkTalk customer. Any films and TV shows that you’ve bought are safe and sound and will continue to be available on your favourite devices.

Want to know a bit more? This Q&A will help.

Don’t care about business news? Fair enough, watch a movie?

We’re really excited to now be part of the UK’s fastest growing TV service and we’ve got loads of plans to make our service even better during 2015 and beyond.

Happy New Year!

The blinkbox Movies Team

| Thu 8 Jan 2015 13:24:46 #5 |
  6. User has not uploaded an avatar

JamesB

special member

LoL. "We're absolutely thrilled to have been sold off dirt cheap to TalkTalk."

| Thu 8 Jan 2015 13:29:07 #6 |
  7. User has not uploaded an avatar

JamesB

special member

JamesB - 1 hour ago  » 
    The current Blinkbox support FAQ says:

When you rent a movie, you’ll be able to watch it for a short period of time, but when you buy it, you’ll own it, so that you can watch it forever on our website and supported devices.

Sounds like you'll need to go online. But TalkTalk could change things.

According to the Telegraph, the Blinkbox streaming service will be closed. But they'll no doubt have to honour the sales contracts on already-purchased shows.

Blinkbox Movies will be closed as a standalone streaming service as soon as practical and the brand will be jettisoned, said TalkTalk chief executive Baroness Harding.

She aims to stem the losses by slashing the service’s heavy marketing budget, currently paying for a TV and billboard advertising campaign, and will integrate its staff, technology and content rights into TalkTalk’s existing television business.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/newsbysector/mediatechnologyandtelecoms/telecoms/11332778/TalkTalk-to-shutter-loss-making-Blinkbox-Movies.html

| Thu 8 Jan 2015 14:49:26 #7 |

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.