My Humax Forum » Freeview HD » HDR FOX T2

Temperature sensitivity?

(3 posts)
  1. rkm_hm

Watt Tyler

On the last two occasions when we have been away from home for a week without leaving the heating on (except for a frost stat which should maintain 10 degrees) some of the recordings made on the HDR FOX T2 during our absence have suffered from severe picture breakup and sound loss - some being completely unwatchable. Recordings made while we are in residence, with the house at normal temperatures, are ok.

The manual says that the operating temperature range is 0 - 45C.

Are there any known issues with the tuner being less sensitive at lower temperatures - particularly on HD?

Is it likely to help if we leave it ON while away, rather than on STANDBY, so that its own generated heat would keep it a few degrees above ambient?

Thanks, in anticipation, for your thoughts.

Roger

| Sun 30 Dec 2012 13:28:48 #1 |
  2. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

Don't know about the HDR FOX T2 but a poster on AV forums with a Foxsat-hdr in a unheated conservatory reports his box fails to boot when it's very cold. 4deg C from memory (don't hold me to this )

Based on this I would say it's a possibility.

| Sun 30 Dec 2012 14:04:10 #2 |
  3. ezra pound

ezra pound

special member

rkm_hm - 3 days ago  » 
    Is it likely to help if we leave it ON while away, rather than on STANDBY, so that its own generated heat would keep it a few degrees above ambient?

You would not need to leave the Humax on permanently, because when the Humax is on it reaches temperatures much higher than ambient, the fan turns on when the hard disk temperature reaches 45Deg C. If you set a repeating 'reminder' to wake-up the Humax a couple of times a day, say for half an hour that would be enough to keep it warm, It will also ensure that the EPG is updated while you are away

| Wed 2 Jan 2013 18:16:09 #3 |

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.