My Humax Forum » Freeview HD » FVP 4000T, 5000T

Today's Youview Announcement - New 5000T?

(8 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

uk1

special member

Just a question seeking either speculation or educated guesswork. Will the announcement by Youview today which seems to loosen constraints on the platform ...... does this imply that Hummy might now be free to develop a Youview version of the 5000t?

Hi everyone,

There has been a lot of discussion on our forum lately on box updates so we thought it would be useful to put out a statement on this:

We are committed to continuously develop and improve the experience using the advances in technology in order to serve viewers and meet the ambitions of our partners.

Our new Cloud infrastructure helps us achieve this by bringing more flexibility for our partners to tailor their YouView offering according to their needs. As a result devices may vary in functionality, features, Players or Apps.

For updates and news relating to your box or TV it is best to contact your provider. Here is where to go

BT
    TalkTalk
    Plusnet

And YouView for all Sony and Humax retail queries.

Phil

| Wed 17 Jan 2018 22:06:10 #1 |
  2. User has not uploaded an avatar

Luke

special member

uk1 - 19 minutes ago  » 
    does this imply that Hummy might now be free to develop a Youview version of the 5000t?

Please would you explain why you think that Humax were constrained and it what way?
    The youview technical spec has always allowed for manufacturers enhancements but obviously manufacturers would have to believe that it would be beneficial for them to add or enhance features.

Which aspects of the FVP-5000T would you like to see in a non-freevoew recorder in the form of a youview recorder?

| Wed 17 Jan 2018 22:31:43 #2 |
  3. User has not uploaded an avatar

uk1

special member

When I discussed the 5000t with them they told me - and I had previously understood - that Youview decided and tightly controlled exactly what the function and gui of all Youview boxes are. I can summarise what I was told was that they were not free to produce a Youview box to the design that they would wish. More than that I do not know.

Discussion Youview v Freeview has been discussed many times and I don't really want to repeat it all .... in the end it's personal taste and preference ...... so please excuse me!

| Wed 17 Jan 2018 22:56:31 #3 |
  4. black knight

black knight

special member

Luke - 13 hours ago  » 

uk1 - 19 minutes ago  » 
    does this imply that Hummy might now be free to develop a Youview version of the 5000t?

Please would you explain why you think that Humax were constrained and it what way?
    The youview technical spec has always allowed for manufacturers enhancements but obviously manufacturers would have to believe that it would be beneficial for them to add or enhance features.
    Which aspects of the FVP-5000T would you like to see in a non-freevoew recorder in the form of a youview recorder?

I don't believe you've ever been able to use a usb port to playback video content from a flash drive, or copy SD content from the hard drive to an external drive with Youview; so there's a couple of things they could allow to be implmented.

| Thu 18 Jan 2018 11:53:30 #4 |
  5. User has not uploaded an avatar

uk1

special member

The vast majority of people are not technically expert and do not slice salami as thinly as is cut by extreme enthusiasts as one finds on many internet fora. They try product a and they try product b using each in the way that they normally use them. They decide that they prefer one over the other. and do not feel compelled to go into deep soul searching and navel gazing and detailed spreadsheet wheighted feature analysis.

I simply prefer Youview, but like having four tuners and at least 2TB and don't want a Virgin or any other contract. What I would like until someone produces exactly what I really want ie mucho tuners and much more storage with Fast responses and remote control shortcuts - and I'm happy to pay for it - is simply the 5000T with Youview.

| Thu 18 Jan 2018 14:59:56 #5 |
  6. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

uk1 - 19 minutes ago  » 
    The vast majority of people are not technically expert and do not slice salami as thinly as is cut by extreme enthusiasts as one finds on many internet fora. They try product a and they try product b using each in the way that they normally use them. They decide that they prefer one over the other. and do not feel compelled to go into deep soul searching and navel gazing and detailed spreadsheet wheighted feature analysis.
    I simply prefer Youview, but like having four tuners and at least 2TB and don't want a Virgin or any other contract. What I would like until someone produces exactly what I really want ie mucho tuners and much more storage with Fast responses and remote control shortcuts - and I'm happy to pay for it - is simply the 5000T with Youview.

The 5000T has 3 tuners.

| Thu 18 Jan 2018 15:19:59 #6 |
  7. User has not uploaded an avatar

Faust

special member

uk1 - 28 minutes ago  » 

You mean people actually exist who don't spend months researching products and examining their every nuance? Ah well there's nowt as queer as folk.

We have six tuners, two 2TBs of storage and three remote controls spread between three PVRs (on of which is BT Youview) - it's the future.

| Thu 18 Jan 2018 15:33:49 #7 |
  8. User has not uploaded an avatar

uk1

special member

Sadly I have two BT's, two freesat recorders and another couple of legacy boxes in another home. I had hoped that the 5000T would be "the one" but sadly not for me.

| Thu 18 Jan 2018 16:01:01 #8 |

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.