My Humax Forum » Freesat HD » FOXSAT HDR

transfer of recordings

(9 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

JDmac

Hi Folks, I have a Foxsat HDR 1Tb which is driving me crazy with noise/vibration. I also have a Foxsat HDR 320gb which is almost free of recordings. Does anyone have an easy way to send what is on the 1tb(about 7%) to the 320 machine or is it not possible to use the 1Tb as a transmitter & the 320 as a receiver? Thank you,JDmac.

| Sun 30 Sep 2018 18:27:00 #1 |
  2. REPASSAC

REPASSAC

special member

The custom firmware on both units would allow you to do this over the network - HD recordings would however not be playable as they are encrypted by the source unit.

It must be a noisy drive as the mounting on the Foxsat is very good at sound and vibration dampening.

https://www.avforums.com/threads/media-file-server-bundle-for-the-foxsat-hdr-release-4-part-6.2024876/#post-23406338

| Mon 1 Oct 2018 7:38:09 #2 |
  3. User has not uploaded an avatar

JDmac

Hi,REPASSAC, thanks for your response. I'm afraid the info on avforums is way above my level of understanding but if you wish to speak of repairing classic cars or trucks,I'm your man. It is the drive which is very noisy &
    as the 1Tb unit is ex demo I think it has run for many hours so to be expected. If you could explain what you mean by 'to do this over the network' that would be greatly appreciated & I might get my old brain(77) to absorb it. Thanks again,kind regards,JDmac.

| Mon 1 Oct 2018 8:44:51 #3 |
  4. User has not uploaded an avatar

JDmac

Sorry REPASSAC, meant to say, if I can transfer the recordings to the other machine I would then put a new HDD in the 1Tb one,thanks,JDmac.

| Mon 1 Oct 2018 8:47:54 #4 |
  5. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

REPASSAC - 1 hour ago  » 
    The custom firmware on both units would allow you to do this over the network - HD recordings would however not be playable as they are encrypted by the source unit.
    It must be a noisy drive as the mounting on the Foxsat is very good at sound and vibration dampening.
    https://www.avforums.com/threads/media-file-server-bundle-for-the-foxsat-hdr-release-4-part-6.2024876/#post-23406338

The custom firmware includes a package that installs a Samba Server on the Foxsat. This shows the Foxsat Hard Drive just like any other drive connected to your PC using Windows File Explorer.. You can select the recordings using Shift the same as any other folder and drag the selected recordings (include the sidecar files like the .htm and .nts) to a folder on your PC. Once the new hard drive is installed simply copy them back to the new video folder that will have been created on the new hard disk.

If you have a windows 10 PC you will need to enable Samba on your PC

https://support.wdc.com/knowledgebase/answer.aspx?ID=20736

Because you will be using the same Foxsat-HDR then HD recordings as well as SD can be copied to a PC and back to the new Hard disk.

| Mon 1 Oct 2018 9:12:00 #5 |
  6. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

grahamlthompson - 3 minutes ago  » 

REPASSAC - 1 hour ago  » 

The custom firmware includes a package that installs a Samba Server on the Foxsat. This shows the Foxsat Hard Drive just like any other drive connected to your PC using Windows File Explorer.. You can select the recordings using Shift the same as any other folder and drag the selected recordings (include the sidecar files like the .htm and .nts) to a folder on your PC. Once the new hard drive is installed simply copy them back to the new video folder that will have been created on the new hard disk.
    If you have a windows 10 PC you will need to enable Samba on your PC
    https://support.wdc.com/knowledgebase/answer.aspx?ID=20736
    Because you will be using the same Foxsat-HDR then HD recordings as well as SD can be copied to a PC and back to the new Hard disk.

Alternatively you can remove the old HDD and drop it into a usb cradle and copy the existing files back to the new hard disk

https://www.viking-direct.co.uk/en/p/7608706?cm_mmc=Google-_-pla_gen_technology_gosc-_-technology-_-7608706&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI3N_A_ubk3QIVi7TtCh1BUwj0EAQYAiABEgJcmvD_BwE

No custom firmware is required to do it this way as the Foxsat-HDR natively supports importing files from USB. The recordings will be in the Video partition in SDA3.

| Mon 1 Oct 2018 9:19:32 #6 |
  7. REPASSAC

REPASSAC

special member

The installation of the custom firmware is very easy and has been designed for a novices to attempt - once the full interface is installed full documentation is contained within the interface.

It does require the Humax(s) to be network connected however.

Graham mentioned Samba and also the alternative caddy option possibility. Anyway good luck with whichever method you choose.

Have always been interested in Classic cars but recently have been eyeing up a 2019 Nissan Leaf with all the driver assist options when the 60kWh battery surfaces.

| Mon 1 Oct 2018 15:54:29 #7 |
  8. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

REPASSAC - 10 hours ago  » 

Because the recordings will be copied back to a Hard Drive connected to the same motherboard with all the original sidecar files, there is no problem with HD recordings. The encryption key used to record them will be unchanged. A bog standard Foxsat-HDR will play back HD recordings copied to a Linux formatted USB drive direct from USB. The software to do this was transmitted shortly after launch thanks to Mr bob Cat

Copying them to a PC and then back to a new HDD should allow HD recordings to play back. You won'y of course be able to play them back on the PC of course.

The Op should be able to play back the old recordings direct from the hard disk that was installed in the machine.

| Mon 1 Oct 2018 17:48:36 #8 |
  9. User has not uploaded an avatar

JDmac

Thanks to Repassac & Grahamltompson. I will now go away & try & get my head round all the info given - it's like walking through a forest in the dark - easy when you know how - maybe sometime I'll know how. Kind regards,both.
    Cheers,JDmac.

| Mon 1 Oct 2018 20:25:40 #9 |

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.