My Humax Forum » Freeview HD » HDR FOX T2

Transfer of SD recordings from HDR-Fox T2

(6 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

MarkN1

I will have to extend apologies now if this issue has been asked and answered before. I have tried desperately to find a relevant thread but I am only coming up with answers that partly address the issue that I have.
    I have a HDR-Fox T2 that is pretty much full of SD recordings, which I want to transfer to my new Aura, to enable me to delete the recordings from the HDR-Fox T2 and give the HDR-Fox T2 recorder to a family member.
    I have a new external 1TB HDD, so should be ample to fit the c. 500GB of recordings on it. I have read posts that say that the HDD should not be formatted on a pc and to just connect it straight to the Humax recorder. My issue is that the recorder does not recognise the drive (I have tried it on my pc and seems fine).
    I am IT literate and use computers daily but the process of transferring SD recordings to a HDD is confounding me. Does someone have a step-by-step description of how this can be done and then similarly to transfer the recordings to the Aura (or view from the HDD if they cannot be transferred)?
    Any guidance would be very much appreciated.

| Sun 17 Sep 2023 12:41:34 #1 |
  2. User has not uploaded an avatar

dino

special member

What format is the drive ?
    Page 38 of the manual includes the following comments.

"Please use only the USB storage device which was formatted with ext3, FAT or NTFS file system.
    USB ports on your product supply 800mA in total. This 800mA is shared among all devices connected to product.
    Please connect power to a USB storage device which requires an external power supply. If not, the device may not be recognized.
    Please connect a USB storage device with the cable offered by the device maker. If you use a cable which is not offered by the device maker or an excessively long cable (max 5m), the device may not be recognized.
    If the USB storage device is connected in standby mode, it will automatically be recognized when the product is turned on.
    A USB storage device using an automatic recognition programme may not be recognized.
    A USB storage device which uses its own driver may not be recognized."

| Sun 17 Sep 2023 12:57:43 #2 |
  3. User has not uploaded an avatar

MarkN1

Thanks Dino for your quick reply. Much appreciated. You have highlighted couple of points that may be the root cause, the main being an unpowered HDD. I hadn’t picked up on that, as some people seem to have used a USB pen drive to save recordings too. My HDD is currently new and unformatted. I will change tack and have another go. Many thanks.

| Sun 17 Sep 2023 18:52:16 #3 |
  4. User has not uploaded an avatar

Luke

special member

dino - 8 hours ago  » 
    What format is the drive ?
    Page 38 of the manual includes the following comments.
    "Please use only the USB storage device which was formatted with ext3, FAT or NTFS file system.

NTFS is read only on a HDR-FOX T2 without additional software/drivers loaded.
    FAT32 will also work and for some who are just interested in SD recordings (i.e. recordings that take up less than 4GB of space each) will be more flexible.

dino - 8 hours ago  » 
    Please connect power to a USB storage device which requires an external power supply. If not, the device may not be recognized.

Unpowered external HDD should be fine. I use them, other use them. Unless it's not really an external HDD, but a HDD in a caddy, it shouldn't draw much more than 500mA. Evan when using a USB3 external drive, it is very difficult (impossible?) to find an external drive that isn't USB2 compatible and will limit power usage to 500mA or less when connected to a USB 2 or USB 1 port.

MarkN1 - 8 hours ago  » 
    I have read posts that say that the HDD should not be formatted on a pc and to just connect it straight to the Humax recorder.

It will depend on what you want to do with the drive. For what you want to do with the drive formatting via a PC can be preferable as you can be certain that the PC will also be able to read the drive.

MarkN1 - 9 hours ago  » 
    similarly to transfer the recordings to the Aura (or view from the HDD if they cannot be transferred)?

See https://hummy.tv/forum/threads/importing-recordings-made-on-an-earlier-humax-box.10916/

| Sun 17 Sep 2023 21:29:43 #4 |
  5. User has not uploaded an avatar

dino

special member

MarkN1 - 15 hours ago  » 
    Thanks Dino for your quick reply. Much appreciated. You have highlighted couple of points that may be the root cause, the main being an unpowered HDD. I hadn’t picked up on that, as some people seem to have used a USB pen drive to save recordings too. My HDD is currently new and unformatted. I will change tack and have another go. Many thanks.

If the disk is unformatted then that's a problem, but as you said it appears fine in a PC I queried what format it was. The quotes from the manual were just to give some indication of other basic things that may Humax claimed may cause issues.

| Mon 18 Sep 2023 10:35:50 #5 |
  6. User has not uploaded an avatar

MarkN1

Thanks Dino & Luke. Plenty here for me to progress with things and feel more confident that I should be able to do what I need to do. I appreciate your help and will report back with results.

| Wed 20 Sep 2023 22:19:12 #6 |

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.