My Humax Forum » Freeview HD » FVP 4000T, 5000T

Transferring files to external HDD

(11 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

RICWALLAR

With my previous system FOXSAT HDR I could copy recorded programmes to an external HDD which had to be formatted by ext3 (which was possible, but tricky when transferring to my PC).
    Having moved to Freeview I now have an FVP4000T. The manual says I can copy to an external storage device formatted by ext3, FAT or NTFS. My NTFS formatted external WD HDD is recognised by the Humax and copying shows as taking place ("copying" & revolving icon in top right corner of screen in "Recordings" window). I have read on this forum that copying is extremely slow. My trial was with a 40 minute long SD recorded programme. I started copying at about 3 pm and at 9:30 am the following morning it was showing the same revolving icon. Surely that length of time (over 18 hours) indicates it is not copying correctly? So I unplugged the HDD, connected it to the PC and found (in the root folder) a "Data Base" file named .1483715037.db of 1,063,328KB size, dated and timed at the time I disconnected the HDD. That file is evidently not usable. There is also in the HDD root folder a 1KB file named .mountchk dated at the time I started the copying process.
    Any advice on how to resolve this would be greatly appreciated.

| Sat 7 Jan 2017 11:25:19 #1 |
  2. User has not uploaded an avatar

Theophilus

I've attached an external USB drive to my FVP-4000T - its formatted FAT32 and have no problem using it to archive programs - transfer rates are slow (but not 18 hours!) so I leave it running overnight.

| Sun 8 Jan 2017 15:33:57 #2 |
  3. User has not uploaded an avatar

Theophilus

Out of interest I've just copied a 45min SD program from the internal HDD to my USB drive - was still copying after 30 minutes but had finished copying when I returned to check in 1 hour.

Unfortunately it doesn't seem possible to select a specific folder for the transferred files, they are moved to folder .recordings

| Sun 8 Jan 2017 17:05:13 #3 |
  4. User has not uploaded an avatar

RICWALLAR

Thanks for the info on the copying times Theo. I've sent my query to Humax support as presumably no-one here knows what's happening. However I've now belatedly realised that I don't have to do any of this stuff: the Humax appears in my network on the PC so I can simply drag & drop files direct which takes about 10 minutes for a 90 minute programme (such as David Bowie - the last 5 years recorded last night). My earlier Foxsat certainly didn't seem to allow for doing that. So it seems my problem is solved in an even better way than I had hoped!

| Sun 8 Jan 2017 18:44:45 #4 |
  5. User has not uploaded an avatar

Oporus

The usb drive has to have it's own power supply. I tried a usb stick and it would play files but I could not copy or move files to it.

Came to the conclusion that the move/copy facility was put there just so Humax could say the box has it ... it is not a serious function ... trying to use it is just a waste of time.

I have two Seagate 500mb drives that are powered with the usb socket ... they do not work either.

| Sun 13 May 2018 10:08:10 #5 |
  6. User has not uploaded an avatar

Oporus

Use USB storage devices formatted by ext3, FAT or NTFS only.
    • Do not disconnect the USB storage device during playback, the files or the
    USB storage device may be damaged.
    • It is recommended to use the USB storage devices requiring external power
    supply.
    • If the USB storage device is connected in standby mode, it will
    automatically be recognized when the product is turned on.
    • HUMAX cannot guarantee compatibility with all USB storage devices and
    assumes no responsibility for any loss of da

| Sun 13 May 2018 10:21:20 #6 |
  7. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

RICWALLAR - 1 year ago  » 
    Thanks for the info on the copying times Theo. I've sent my query to Humax support as presumably no-one here knows what's happening. However I've now belatedly realised that I don't have to do any of this stuff: the Humax appears in my network on the PC so I can simply drag & drop files direct which takes about 10 minutes for a 90 minute programme (such as David Bowie - the last 5 years recorded last night). My earlier Foxsat certainly didn't seem to allow for doing that. So it seems my problem is solved in an even better way than I had hoped!

The custom firmware add on for the Foxsat-HDR provides both Samba file mapping and FTP access and many other goodies.

| Sun 13 May 2018 10:56:36 #7 |
  8. Barry

Barry

senior admin

Oporus - 1 hour ago  » 
    The usb drive has to have it's own power supply.

Nope...I use WD passport drives on 4000 and 5000T for archiving and playback.

| Sun 13 May 2018 11:21:01 #8 |
  9. User has not uploaded an avatar

Oporus

I am baffled then.

You plug in your usb drive ... select the file ... + MOVE ... triangle goes round and round and round and round ... nothing happens.

If something is supposed to work then it just works ... you should not have to check half a dozen settings first.

Needs work

| Sun 13 May 2018 12:40:57 #9 |
  10. REPASSAC

REPASSAC

special member

I think that the problem is using a USB2 socket with a drive that exceeds the USB2 power specification.

| Sun 13 May 2018 13:33:49 #10 |

RSS feed for this topic

Reply »

You must log in to post.