My Humax Forum » Freeview HD » FVP 4000T, 5000T

Transferring recordings from 5000T

(16 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

K_aitlin

Martin Liddle - 16 hours ago  » 

K_aitlin - 39 mins ago  » 
    We then tried the computer way. However when we try and play the recording we're getting the message
    'Missing codec
    Choose something else to play. This item is in a format we don't support.
    0xc004f011'

I don't think you are doing anything wrong. I haven't got much experience of USB downloads, hopefully somebody else can help. As regards the 'missing codec' message was this trying to play it on the PC? If so what software? If it is a Microsoft product then you can download extra codecs. Alternatively download the free VLC player that should play it without any fuss, see https://www.videolan.org/vlc/index.en-GB.html

When we were receiving the 'missing codec' message that was when we were trying to view the recording on the PC using the software Film & TV through Windows 10. We then downloaded VLC Player, we then found the recordings through the PC. We right clicked and opened with VLC. The computer then downloaded the recording and played through the VLC player (the full 8 hour recording). This is now where we're stuck. We don't know now how to transfer the recording from VLC to the external hard drive.

| Thu 17 Sep 2020 11:37:40 #11 |
  2. User has not uploaded an avatar

K_aitlin

EEPhil - 1 hour ago  » 
    I can't see an obvious reason for the USB method not working unless the format of the external drive can't cope with the size of the file, or the Humax crashed during the transfer. For it to stop at 19 minutes is strange. Are you certain the recording is SD? Can the 19 minutes saved to USB drive be played?

The external hard drive is NTFS formatted out of the box so we didn't do anything to it. Yes completely 100% sure the recording is SD as the channel we recorded does not have a HD version. Yes, the 19 minutes which saved to the Hard drive was able to be played back on the TV.

| Thu 17 Sep 2020 11:43:49 #12 |
  3. User has not uploaded an avatar

EEPhil

special member

The fact that the 19 minutes played seems to suggest the codec error is a red herring. Somehow the copying via the network is mangling the file. You could try saving the file a second time to the USB drive and see if it fails again. (Best to rename or delete the file on the USB drive first). If that doesn't work, all is not lost but the only other methods I know to copy an SD file to your computer (and then the USB drive) are not straightforward.

| Thu 17 Sep 2020 14:50:59 #13 |
  4. User has not uploaded an avatar

Martin Liddle

special member

K_aitlin - 4 hours ago  » 
    We then downloaded VLC Player, we then found the recordings through the PC. We right clicked and opened with VLC. The computer then downloaded the recording and played through the VLC player (the full 8 hour recording).

This sounds to me as though you have played the file using the DLNA server on the Humax. You said you had previously managed to download the file; what file extension does it have? My test copies are shown as .mpeg. Use Windows Explorer to locate the file, right click from the "Open with" option on the popup men select VLC and it should start to play.

| Thu 17 Sep 2020 16:49:51 #14 |
  5. User has not uploaded an avatar

Martin Liddle

special member

EEPhil - 2 hours ago  » 
    The fact that the 19 minutes played seems to suggest the codec error is a red herring.

I think you are getting confused. The OP says they played back the 19 minutes on the TV. The attempt to play back the recording transferred over the network was on the PC. On my PC I can play back the downloaded files using Microsoft applications but I have at some point downloaded the Microsoft MPEG-2 extension which may be the key to the problem; see https://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/p/mpeg-2-video-extension/9n95q1zzpmh4?activetab=pivot:overviewtab

Somehow the copying via the network is mangling the file.

I haven't seen any evidence of that.

| Thu 17 Sep 2020 16:59:07 #15 |
  6. User has not uploaded an avatar

EEPhil

special member

Ah, you could be right. What I want to know is does the 19m play on the computer. Missed the "TV" at the end of the sentence. Oops.

| Sun 20 Sep 2020 13:31:13 #16 |

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.