My Humax Forum » Freesat HD » HDR 1000, 1010, 1100S

Transferring recordings to USB without OPT+ button

(19 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

thedamester

Hi - I recently replaced my Humax Freeview box with a Humax HDR-1010S Freesat Freetime 1TB Receiver due to poor aerial signal in my area. I can not find a way to transfer recordings from this new box to USB which I used to do with my Freeview box. There is no OPT+ button on the remote control and no options that I can see on the menu.(I can transfer from USB to internal HDD OK)

I hope they have not removed this option as it is the main reason for me getting this brand

Thanks in anticipation

| Sat 7 Feb 2015 16:39:00 #1 |
  2. Barry

Barry

senior admin

Welcome to our Forum

I'm afraid you are going to be disappointed, there is no facility to transfer recordings to usb.

| Sat 7 Feb 2015 17:01:30 #2 |
  3. REPASSAC

REPASSAC

special member

I think this is one of freesat's design decisions - so brand specific. The most we can hope for is a DLNA server that will let rights managed LAN clients view the material.

| Sat 7 Feb 2015 18:00:52 #3 |
  4. User has not uploaded an avatar

thedamester

Thanks for the replies. I have today spoken to Humax who confirmed that both the newer models of their Freesat and Freeview boxes have no longer got the facility to transfer data out from the boxes. They tell me that this is the decision of 3rd party software providers but wouldn't be pressed on the reasons why.

The rep suggested the HB1000S as an alternative as I could attach an external drive to record on but as this does not have twin tuners it would not suit my needs. I then spoke again the my retailer about using the USB port on my current 1010S to attach an external drive to. They said this would be possible and when connected I should be given the option to record to that instead of the internal HDD! I am dubious about this working but will give it a try...unfortunately I won't be able to do this until for a week or two as the room the box in in is being decorated, so if anyone has already tried this I would be interested to hear!

| Mon 9 Feb 2015 12:19:28 #4 |
  5. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

Sounds like you have been given duff information.

There is no way afiak to record to an external hard drive on a 1010/1000s.

Exporting recordings is possible with the older Foxsat-HDR (you can't record directly to a usb device)

Exporting recordings is possible with the current Freeview+ Boxes. (HDR1800T and HDR2000T - also the HDR FOX T2).

HD recordings though will only play back on the box that recorded the content.

It's not possible to export with the Youview range of boxes.

| Mon 9 Feb 2015 12:45:07 #5 |
  6. User has not uploaded an avatar

Martin Liddle

special member

thedamester - 23 minutes ago  » 
    I have today spoken to Humax who confirmed that both the newer models of their Freesat and Freeview boxes have no longer got the facility to transfer data out from the boxes.

No that still isn't right. The current Freeview HD models (HDR-2000T and HDR1800T) do allow transfer of SD recordings to attached USB devices. I think it is the YouView models that don't allow transfer to USB.

| Mon 9 Feb 2015 12:45:20 #6 |
  7. User has not uploaded an avatar

JamesB

special member

thedamester - 1 hour ago  » 
    Thanks for the replies. I have today spoken to Humax who confirmed that both the newer models of their Freesat and Freeview boxes have no longer got the facility to transfer data out from the boxes. They tell me that this is the decision of 3rd party software providers but wouldn't be pressed on the reasons why. !

The reasons are pretty straightforward. The third-party software providers referred to are Freesat (owned by the BBC and ITV), and YouView (owned by BT, TalkTalk, Arqiva, the BBC, ITV, C5, and C4. It's not in their interest to facilitate archiving of content. Disappointing for us users, but not surprising.

| Mon 9 Feb 2015 13:35:09 #7 |
  8. User has not uploaded an avatar

thedamester

Thanks for the replies - I am even more confused now! This is taken from the product description on the John Lewis site:

The Humax HB-1000S receiver will unlock a world of online and satellite entertainment. Enjoy hundreds of channels, many in stunning HD, as well as on-demand services like BBC iPlayer and ITV Player. The HB-1000S also has a clever roll back TV guide, so tracking down missed programmes is as easy as checking what’s on next. It’ll also pause and rewind live TV when you attach an external hard drive (available separately).

Pause, record, rewind
    Recording your programmes is as simple as connecting an external hard drive. This also allows rewinding and pausing of live action.

I have one of the Humax Freeview boxes which you mentioned and yes, I can export your recordings-I have had this model for some years and assumed, incorrectly that the newer Freesat one which have have just purchased would do the same! I find the info which Humax provide both on their website and manuals to be incomplete and misleading in this respect!

| Mon 9 Feb 2015 13:58:35 #8 |
  9. User has not uploaded an avatar

JamesB

special member

You can record to USB drive with the HB-1000S, but you can only play the recordings on the unit that recorded them. Same as a Smart TV.

| Mon 9 Feb 2015 14:31:41 #9 |
  10. REPASSAC

REPASSAC

special member

thedamester - 39 minutes ago  » 
    ......... I find the info which Humax provide both on their website and manuals to be incomplete and misleading in this respect!

I think that freesat authored the manual, designed the user interface and the functioality of the unit. As for the Humax website, if specifications listed what the unit could not do, the list would get very long.

| Mon 9 Feb 2015 14:40:45 #10 |

RSS feed for this topic

Reply »

You must log in to post.