1. paulburke

Paul

Carol,

Are you putting in a UK postcode?

Do not try a French postcode!!!

| Thu 1 Nov 2012 18:11:09 #11 |
  2. User has not uploaded an avatar

nanacarol

Yes, it is my daughter's postcode in England and I haven't changed it since I have been here. I am wondering if the aerial connection on the roof was disturbed by the blizzard, but I did get ITV after a day. I wish I had not bothered trying to reset it! I am trying to watch on line with iportal but my computer keeps freezing so I have to turn off and start again!

| Thu 1 Nov 2012 19:51:44 #12 |
  3. REPASSAC

REPASSAC

special member

Do you know anyone else with UK sat? - If so take the unit to their place and connect it and retune. It should get you back a lot. Still need to get dish sorted.

| Thu 1 Nov 2012 20:11:23 #13 |
  4. User has not uploaded an avatar

nanacarol

I had to use my second e-mail address because I could not access my account. It would not take either the long password that I was given when I joined, nor the new one I chose for myself. After a dozen tries, I got very frustrated as it was just going round in circles. It said I could reset my password, but when I went to the link it just asked me to sign in again!

| Thu 1 Nov 2012 20:53:49 #14 |
  5. User has not uploaded an avatar

nanacarol

I am afraid the only person I know with UK satellite is my friend who lives in Switzerland, about three hours the other side of Lake Geneva! This is not an area where most expats come and I live in splendid isolation. At the moment, I am trying to watch a few programmes on line but my internet connection is not very good either, so I am completely fed up.

| Thu 1 Nov 2012 20:55:58 #15 |
  6. User has not uploaded an avatar

nanacarol

Thank you all very much for giving up your time to help me. I can't get out of the Wizard screen . If I press Detection it just goes on and on.

| Thu 1 Nov 2012 21:00:48 #16 |
  7. paulburke

Paul

nanacarol - 2 hours ago  » 
    Yes, it is my daughter's postcode in England and I haven't changed it since I have been here. I am wondering if the aerial connection on the roof was disturbed by the blizzard, but I did get ITV after a day. I wish I had not bothered trying to reset it! I am trying to watch on line with iportal but my computer keeps freezing so I have to turn off and start again!

It does seem as though you will need your dish realigning.

| Thu 1 Nov 2012 22:22:59 #17 |
  8. User has not uploaded an avatar

zeke

grahamlthompson - 4 hours ago  » 
    Exit from the freesat setup routines and choose manual tune, select transponder (rather than all) 11427 (11428) H and post signal strength and quality). If this is poor show the sat guy this and he should be able to slightly re-align the dish. If he has other customers with Freesat kit he will probably be au-fait with the problem anyway.

Graham is absolutely spot-on with how important proper dish alignment is.

When me and my landlord were swapping the single LNB on the minidish for a quad LNB (two single feeds for two separate rooms, one double feed for the Foxsat) the signal strength/quality was 75-80% on the main channels using 5m coax leads. This was pretty good, but after changing the angle a mere few degrees we were able to get 95-100% on most channels. The dish is now optimally aligned for Freesat 28.5E and barring extremely bad weather like last night's short but violent rain/thunder/lightning storm never breaks up.

| Thu 1 Nov 2012 23:05:50 #18 |
  9. User has not uploaded an avatar

nanacarol

I will just have to go 'cold turkey' with no TV until this holiday is over (Nov. 1st is Remembrance Day in France, everything shut.) I asked the company that manages the block of flats if I could put the dish on the balcony, which faces South, but they won't allow it. I can understand why. At the moment, I am the only person who needs a separate dish as all the other residents are French, but they said that in future they might get owners from other European countries who would all want their own dishes. An expat's life is not without problems - but I do live in a spectacularly beautiful spot.

| Fri 2 Nov 2012 3:44:23 #19 |
  10. User has not uploaded an avatar

nanacarol

I am embarrassed to admit my stupidity, but it might help someone else, so here goes. After a week with no TV, I finally had a visit from an engineer yesterday. He found the page where my postal code had been rejected as invalid, and put in the code without any space between the two sets of letters and numbers. At once, I had my full service back.
    In my own defence, I must say that it did say on the page that spaces should be used.
    He charged me €60 - he was with me only ten minutes, but as I live outside an isolated village he had a one hour round trip, so he was not overcharging me.

| Fri 9 Nov 2012 8:03:56 #20 |

RSS feed for this topic

Reply »

You must log in to post.