My Humax Forum » Freeview HD » HDR 1800T, 2000T

TV picture though PVR streaky/breaking up

(7 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

pseudonym

I have HDR 2000T since June 2014. Recordings always good (though HD not possible) when SCART connected to old CRT TV using a splitter at PVR in (the TV had 2 rf sockets).

Since July this year have new TV (Sony KDL-32W705C). Had initial trouble getting TV to tune all channels until I connected TV direct to aerial. Once OK, I connected Humax in. I updated Humax software and switched off Power saving to allow rf loopthrough.

Picture (recorded or directly viewed via Humax) is often streaky in lines of small blocks. TV when viewed via its tuner is perfect, including HD. So I can't understand why this is happening unless the TV somehow steals a lot of the rf signal. I wondered if I should re-enable power saving (so no loop-through) and somehow use a splitter to provide recording of two programs and viewing of a third.

Any ideas please?

| Sat 5 Dec 2015 23:06:52 #1 |
  2. User has not uploaded an avatar

Martin Liddle

special member

pseudonym - 1 hour ago  » 
    Any ideas please?

Start off by telling us the signal strength and quality as reported by the Humax ona selection of channels. Without that information we would just be guessing.

| Sun 6 Dec 2015 0:26:14 #2 |
  3. User has not uploaded an avatar

pseudonym

Looking up signal detection in Settings it shows channel 21 by default. Also selectable are others to about 31 (I think). It is only Ch 29 which looks poor with quality showing something like 20%. But when viewed, that one looks OK. Another thing I've noticed the small display of signal and quality when 'i' is pressed shows channels that break up visually (and audibly) to be 100% or near.

Also on switching between the equivalent HD channel (where there is one), HD looks fine with no break up. So seems to be to do with the SD.

| Sun 6 Dec 2015 21:36:15 #3 |
  4. User has not uploaded an avatar

Martin Liddle

special member

pseudonym - 1 hour ago  » 
    Looking up signal detection in Settings it shows channel 21 by default. Also selectable are others to about 31 (I think). It is only Ch 29 which looks poor with quality showing something like 20%.

Are there signal strength readings?

| Sun 6 Dec 2015 23:08:14 #4 |
  5. User has not uploaded an avatar

pseudonym

Martin Liddle

Signal strength was high (I can't get to look again right now) but at least 80%, but it was the quality reading that was so low as I mentioned just on channel 29. All other selectable channels 21-32 were high for both signal and quality.
    Seems to be just a SD issue. And prior to getting the new Sony TV this year we thought HD reception seemed poor through the Humax as HD recordings would fail after a few minutes with insuffient signal. HD (and SD) channels view absolutely fine through the TV.

| Sun 6 Dec 2015 23:30:18 #5 |
  6. User has not uploaded an avatar

Martin Liddle

special member

pseudonym - 52 minutes ago  » 

Martin Liddle

Signal strength was high (I can't get to look again right now) but at least 80%, but it was the quality reading that was so low as I mentioned just on channel 29.

The actual numbers would help; too high a signal strength can be a problem.

| Mon 7 Dec 2015 0:23:24 #6 |
  7. User has not uploaded an avatar

pseudonym

Martin Liddle
    The actual numbers would help; too high a signal strength can be a problem.

Most channels are 100% or near (unless you are not referring to the signal percentage and quality percentage meter readings and you mean something else). The aerial is a shared one between 6 dwellings so for the signal to be too high seems a bit strange. Besides, as I mentioned the HD channels are OK as is all channels on the TV tuner itself.

And the problem is relatively new - a few months.

| Mon 7 Dec 2015 1:57:15 #7 |

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.