My Humax Forum » Freesat HD » FOXSAT HDR

Unable to copy a file

(7 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

MattNoVAT

Hi All,

Yes, I'm new to this forum but I'm not new to to Humax devices. I have two FoxSat HDR's 320Gb) and may get a third soon!

I am very familiar with copying files to USB stick and moving it to the other device but today I have a new problem. Today I tried to copy an HD file, the copy went well but then the process hung at the end effectively freezing the entire system. I had no alternative but to switch off the power and reboot.

The file did actually copy to the 2Gb USB successfully but if I try to copy the file again it now has a icon that looks like a CD with an "x" in the corner and the "Copy" option remains greyed out in the File Manager.

I've tried a reboot. Lock/Unlock, Protect/Unprotect
    I've tried Moving it and Renaming the file.

File plays fine on the originating system, just cannot copy to the Humax box upstairs

I'm an I.T. person and I'm guessing that the file is somehow still locked or the header or end of file marker is somehow damaged.

Any ideas on how I can clear this marker?

Source system has v7.53 boot loader
    Target system has v7.52

(I've noticed the earlier code does not like 16Gb USB memory sticks but later has no problem with them)

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

| Thu 29 Dec 2011 14:01:41 #1 |
  2. myhumax

myhumax

senior admin

Certain HD recordings allow you to copy 'once only' for backup purposes. Looks like this is what happened - the box thought it successfully transferred the recording off and has marked it copied - not allowing further transfers.

You might be able to find a Raydon utility to mark the recording as not transferred and then trying another copy.

| Thu 29 Dec 2011 14:43:32 #2 |
  3. User has not uploaded an avatar

MattNoVAT

Hi, thanks for the explanation. This sounds like what has happened as it was The Gruffalo's Child that was broadcast on the BBC HD Channel and I know they sometimes do some some form of protection on certain programs.

Its not a huge issue, but good to know more about the Humax boxes and what can/cannot be done on them. The manual is OK but does not go into huge detail on the more advanced bits.

Cheers & a happy new year to all.

| Fri 30 Dec 2011 11:56:07 #3 |
  4. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

MattNoVAT - 1 hour ago  » 
    Hi, thanks for the explanation. This sounds like what has happened as it was The Gruffalo's Child that was broadcast on the BBC HD Channel and I know they sometimes do some some form of protection on certain programs.
    Its not a huge issue, but good to know more about the Humax boxes and what can/cannot be done on them. The manual is OK but does not go into huge detail on the more advanced bits.
    Cheers & a happy new year to all.

You won't be able to play a Freesat mode HD recording on another box as the encryption is box specific.

| Fri 30 Dec 2011 13:43:39 #4 |
  5. User has not uploaded an avatar

MattNoVAT

Hi Graham,
    This is odd as I have recorded an HD program broadcast by the BBC on one FreeSat HD box, copied it to USB stick and then copied from USB stick to a different FreeSat HD box and watched it without issue. I did this yesterday while trying to move a copy of a different program.

The original recording is over 12 months old (The Gruffalo) so maybe encryption has been added since the original broadcast/recording?

| Fri 30 Dec 2011 14:15:58 #5 |
  6. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

MattNoVAT - 10 minutes ago  » 
    Hi Graham,
    This is odd as I have recorded an HD program broadcast by the BBC on one FreeSat HD box, copied it to USB stick and then copied from USB stick to a different FreeSat HD box and watched it without issue. I did this yesterday while trying to move a copy of a different program.
    The original recording is over 12 months old (The Gruffalo) so maybe encryption has been added since the original broadcast/recording?

Hi Matt

BBC1 HD was transmitted without encryption from launch to just before the Royal Wedding. Try it with a later recording, it won't work. It was nice while it lasted

| Fri 30 Dec 2011 14:28:23 #6 |
  7. User has not uploaded an avatar

MattNoVAT

OK that explains it then! The Gruffalo was recorded before the Royal wedding for sure, but The Gruffalos Child was recorded after.

Thanks for clearing that up! Saves me scratching my head and looking any more confused

| Fri 30 Dec 2011 14:33:56 #7 |

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.