My Humax Forum » Freesat HD » HDR 1000, 1010, 1100S

Unable to pause live TV on HDR1000S

(11 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

Higgslane

My HDR-1000S/500GB has developed a fault. It will not pause or rewind live TV.
    Humax technical support personnel tell me that to fix the problem, I must format the HDD in order to eliminate a bad sector on the disk.
    I consider this solution totally unacceptable since I will lose all my valued saved recordings.
    Please note that the box has a ‘keep’ function for recording but has NO ability to back them up anywhere in the event of a disk failure. The Older HDR Foxsat had a file manager which enabled you to copy to a USB connected device.
    There are many people with this problem should you care to search the internet. It is ridiculous to have to format a drive for a single sector error.
    This is a ‘cop out’ fix in my opinion.
    I am considering reverting back to my old Foxsat HDR which was trouble free for many years and had the file manager facility.

| Tue 20 May 2014 14:15:16 #1 |
  2. User has not uploaded an avatar

evtilsley

same for me, no way I'm going to format. Annoying.

| Tue 20 May 2014 15:07:40 #2 |
  3. User has not uploaded an avatar

bleara

I have the same problem too and it's very annoying but I don't want to lose all my recordings either.

| Sun 1 Jun 2014 19:11:33 #3 |
  4. User has not uploaded an avatar

evtilsley

Bit the bullet & formatted. Works again.

| Fri 5 Sep 2014 17:38:10 #4 |
  5. REPASSAC

REPASSAC

special member

Higgslane - 3 months ago  » 
    My HDR-1000S/500GB has developed a fault. It will not pause or rewind live TV.
    Humax technical support personnel tell me that to fix the problem, I must format the HDD in order to eliminate a bad sector on the disk.
    I consider this solution totally unacceptable since I will lose all my valued saved recordings.
    Please note that the box has a ‘keep’ function for recording but has NO ability to back them up anywhere in the event of a disk failure. The Older HDR Foxsat had a file manager which enabled you to copy to a USB connected device.
    There are many people with this problem should you care to search the internet. It is ridiculous to have to format a drive for a single sector error.
    This is a ‘cop out’ fix in my opinion.
    I am considering reverting back to my old Foxsat HDR which was trouble free for many years and had the file manager facility.

It is a problem that could occur on the Foxsat as well.
    However with the custom firmware you could rename the buffer file, reboot and it would be recreated and then delete the renamed file.

My suggestion is to add this as a automatic HDR-1000S disk clean-up function.

Edit: I will suggest that those who power cycle their units from time to time, put their unit in standby first. Normally the unit is always writing to the buffer and I think that, just pulling the power, increases the change of a filing system error.

| Fri 5 Sep 2014 18:42:11 #5 |
  6. User has not uploaded an avatar

Higgslane

Don't understand the last post. I never cycle the unit anyway. The fact is the problem occurred after a human update. I believe they are hiding a firmware problem that is very easily remedied by a reformat. If it is a bad sector error, I ask the question. Why does the bad sector error ALWAYS cause the same problem.
    In my 30 years experience in IT bad sectors cause many differing problems. Furthermore why can't Humax provide a sector recovery option in place of their cop out remedy to the problem

| Sat 6 Sep 2014 23:47:22 #6 |
  7. User has not uploaded an avatar

damian

special member

I think the point was, some people pull the plug or switch off before the OS has finished writing to the disk. In the past I've has to wait 5-10 minutes after pressing standby before disk writing ceases and there ain't going to be many folks out there that would wait that long and most wouldn't give it a second thought. Similarly a power cut, circuit breaker trip, accident etc. can cause a corrupt file system.

In hindsight Humax would have been better creating a swap space for the buffer, streaming to it and re-creating it on every boot.

Also, as Repassac was alluding to, running a file system check on boot if it detects a partition that was not cleanly unmounted or just run it anyway, is likely to fix most problems around the file system. Downside to this is probably more people would complain that the box doesn't boot up as quickly as they want.

Humax aren't hiding a firmware problem, just their attempt to lock down the file system has been poorly implemented with very little concern for even minor problems and that makes what should be very simple tasks to fix things virtually impossible for the end user.

I agree though, having to reformat the disk for what could be a very simple file system problem is unacceptable

| Sun 7 Sep 2014 1:37:26 #7 |
  8. REPASSAC

REPASSAC

special member

My suggestion was to add a automatic buffer recreate (in a different disk area) by renaming, recreating and then deleting the renamed file.

This could be added to the disk-cleanup function (no extra boot time) or perhaps even where it detects it is unable to use the buffer.

The problem could be thst the problem is not easy to recreate.

| Sun 7 Sep 2014 6:41:43 #8 |
  9. User has not uploaded an avatar

Higgslane

Dear Rapassac,
    that sounds like a good idea but how do you do that ?
    ie. the automatic buffer recreate ? The HDR1000S has no file management facility !

Dear Damian, the unit is never powered off and we do not get power cuts. I'm still convinced the problem occurred after an on line upgrade by Humax at the beginning of this year.

Thank you both for taking the time to reply.

| Sun 7 Sep 2014 10:16:30 #9 |
  10. REPASSAC

REPASSAC

special member

Higgslane - 13 minutes ago  » 
    Dear Rapassac,
    that sounds like a good idea but how do you do that ?
    ie. the automatic buffer recreate ? The HDR1000S has no file ....

It would need Humax to add it, perhaps at the start of the existing disk cleanup facility or at the point it has determined it cannot use the buffer.

| Sun 7 Sep 2014 10:31:42 #10 |

RSS feed for this topic

Reply »

You must log in to post.