My Humax Forum » Freeview HD » HDR FOX T2

Unable to SAVE after automatic channel search

(4 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

andykeys

My parents have an HDR-FOX T2 and they were having problems with making recordings on BBC1/BBC2 (although ITV was fine). Viewing BBC1/2 was OK but making recordings was failing. I decided to go ahead and perform an 'automatic channel search' on the installation menu... and it found all the channels OK... but when I selected the SAVE button it would not complete and exit the menu (instead I got a grey overlay panel in the top left of the screen). Tried several times, still unable to save... and so now the device has NO CHANNELS. Humax tech support say 'it's faulty - we will replace it' but, unfortunately, my parents have many good TV programmes recorded and they would prefer to keep them.

So, two questions at this stage ;

1. Is this 'crash after automatic channel search' a known issue ?
    If yes, any work-arounds ?

2. Is there any "step-by-step guide" to full backup (& restore) of the recordings - i.e. so I can copy them from the old device and then copy them back to the replacement device.

Many Thanks for any comments.

| Thu 17 Nov 2011 20:34:40 #1 |
  2. User has not uploaded an avatar

Martin Liddle

special member

andykeys - 6 minutes ago  » 
    1. Is this 'crash after automatic channel search' a known issue ?
    If yes, any work-arounds ?

I don't recollect it being reported before. I would think the original problem might be due to the box being tuned to more than one transmitter. I would suggest seeing if a manual tune works. My instructions based on the Big-les instructions for the SD Humaxes are as follows:

1.Go to Digital UK web site URL and input your postcode and house number; tick the box marked "I am in the aerial installation trade". Look carefully at the information returned for each transmitter; don't blindly accept the recommendation for the most likely transmitter; in our case it suggests Emley Moor but the reception predictor accurately predicts that we can't currently receive from Emley Moor but we have line of sight to Chesterfield transmitter which is only 5km away.
    2.Having decided on a transmitter,note down the six or seven channel numbers for the mutiplexes (shown in the column headed N and on a darker grey background). If you are in a post DSO area carefully mark which one of these channel numbers carries the HD Mux.
    On the HDR press Menu>Settings>Installation. You will be prompted for a password which defaults to 0000.
    Select Automatic search for channels and immediately stop it; save the results. This deletes all previously found channels.
    Select Manual search. In the Channel field press right arrow, scroll up or down and select the first channel number from your list. In the Transmission field leave it on the default DVB-T for all channels except the HD channel; for the HD channel it must be changed to DVB-T2. Press Search. This should find a number of channel names. Save the results.
    Repeat the manual search for each channel previously noted.
    You will then need to enter your schedule of recordings.

| Thu 17 Nov 2011 20:47:12 #2 |
  3. User has not uploaded an avatar

andykeys

Thanks Martin. I will try the manual tune. Also, I wonder whether it might be worth trying a software update (assuming my parents are not already running the latest version) ?

| Fri 18 Nov 2011 0:21:18 #3 |
  4. User has not uploaded an avatar

Martin Liddle

special member

andykeys - 31 minutes ago  » 
    Also, I wonder whether it might be worth trying a software update (assuming my parents are not already running the latest version) ?

I suggest the manual tune and then if that doesn't work try installing an earlier version of the software and then reinstalling the latest version. Your problem doesn't sound like hardware to me, so one would hope to be able to do something somehow.

| Fri 18 Nov 2011 0:55:17 #4 |

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.