My Humax Forum » Freesat HD » HDR 1000, 1010, 1100S

Unable to see shared folders

(16 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

dave_s13

Just bought a HDR100s - works very well apart from the woeful excuse for media streaming.

I have a windows 7 machine set up with a folder called "movies" that contains many HD MKV files. This folder is added to the windows media player library.

The Humax box sees my server called HTPC:dave and I can browse into the folders and see "movies" but it does not show any of my MKV files, only the few AVI files that are in there.

As I understand it the Humax box needs to see a DLNA server on the network and this is the function performed by windows media player...but windows media player doesn't support MKV's natively, although it does play them with the right codecs installed.

Anyway I tried installing PS3media server and that was found by the humax box but browsing to a file causes the machine to reboot.

Is anyone else finding it frustratingly hard to get the damn thing to play files off their network (as it's advertised to do) and if they've got it working how the bloody hell did you manage it!!!???

| Fri 27 Dec 2013 18:56:23 #1 |
  2. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

My box plays transport stream files without issues. Try remuxing into a .ts container.

| Fri 27 Dec 2013 19:15:08 #2 |
  3. User has not uploaded an avatar

Pollensa1946

special member

My 1000S sees the Twonky server on my NAS, but I've never been able to get the media play facility to work properly on movies, photos or music. I tried with two other servers on my PC with the same result. I documented this fully on the official Freesat forum, they ignored it and eventually deleted the post.
    I gave up and bought a dedicated media streamer for 80 Pounds, it works perfectly.

| Fri 27 Dec 2013 19:22:10 #3 |
  4. User has not uploaded an avatar

dave_s13

grahamlthompson - 15 minutes ago  » 
    My box plays transport stream files without issues. Try remuxing into a .ts container.

Sorry chief, that means nothing to me!

| Fri 27 Dec 2013 19:31:06 #4 |
  5. User has not uploaded an avatar

dave_s13

Pollensa1946 - 9 minutes ago  » 
    My 1000S sees the Twonky server on my NAS, but I've never been able to get the media play facility to work properly on movies, photos or music. I tried with two other servers on my PC with the same result. I documented this fully on the official Freesat forum, they ignored it and eventually deleted the post.
    I gave up and bought a dedicated media streamer for 80 Pounds, it works perfectly.

I've also got a WDTVlive that works perfectly.

If Humax could integrate the two they'd be on to a winner.

| Fri 27 Dec 2013 19:32:21 #5 |
  6. User has not uploaded an avatar

Pollensa1946

special member

dave_s13 - 6 minutes ago  » 

grahamlthompson - 15 minutes ago  » 

Sorry chief, that means nothing to me!

Graham is suggesting that you try converting the .MKV files into .TS files. The question I have is why should you have to on an expensive box which claims to also be a media player? However you try to defend it the Humax media player does not work properly, whereas a simple dedicated media player does.

| Fri 27 Dec 2013 19:40:57 #6 |
  7. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

dave_s13 - 4 minutes ago  » 

The Humax box uses a dedicated chip that primarily supports its use as a PVR, it will never be able to support the number of formats that a dedicated media server will. You can be pretty sure it will work OK with the standard broadcasting formats like mpeg2 576i and H264 -1080i especially contained in the native transport stream container. It will also play back 1080p24 (native Blu-ray format) but won't recognise .mts files (changing the extension to .ts works).

Even the WD TV live fails to support 1080p50/60 playback according to the specs at the WD website.

Try changing the file extention of a .MKV to .TS, you may be lucky.

| Fri 27 Dec 2013 19:43:53 #7 |
  8. User has not uploaded an avatar

dave_s13

grahamlthompson - 20 minutes ago  » 

The Humax box uses a dedicated chip that primarily supports its use as a PVR, it will never be able to support the number of formats that a dedicated media server will. You can be pretty sure it will work OK with the standard broadcasting formats like mpeg2 576i and H264 -1080i especially contained in the native transport stream container. It will also play back 1080p24 (native Blu-ray format) but won't recognise .mts files (changing the extension to .ts works).
    Even the WD TV live fails to support 1080p50/60 playback according to the specs at the WD website.

Thanks, good idea but renaming to .ts didn't seem to work.

To be fair, as a means of watching free TV and accessing on demand services it's pretty damn good. It'd just be nice if what appears to be a pretty well understood function could somehow be shoehorned in there. The sales pitch is somewhat misleading.

| Fri 27 Dec 2013 20:08:36 #8 |
  9. REPASSAC

REPASSAC

special member

dave_s13 - 14 minutes ago  » 

grahamlthompson - 20 minutes ago  » 

Thanks, good idea but renaming to .ts didn't seem to work.
    To be fair, as a means of watching free TV and accessing on demand services it's pretty damn good. It'd just be nice if what appears to be a pretty well understood function could somehow be shoehorned in there. The sales pitch is somewhat misleading.

Not really - It says a DLNA client. Why many seem to think that means a full fledged media player I don't know. The media server is very important in this relationship.

| Fri 27 Dec 2013 20:24:40 #9 |
  10. User has not uploaded an avatar

dave_s13

Home Networking

With the new generation of products Humax introduces the ability to play back a wide range of video, picture and audio content types from a home network. The products can be connected to a home network through the Ethernet port (and also via a HomePlugAV bridge or wireless bridge) and products will self-discover content from compatible devices on the network.
    Play media files

Stream videos, music, and photos from your USB drive, network drive, and any PC or Mac computer in your home. Our media library collects the content from all the drives, so finding the perfect video, song, or photo to view is easier than ever

The above is taken from the Humax site....it just doesn't work like you'd imagine.

Rather than replying to state that strictly speaking it does exactly what it says it should what about offering a solution? How can I play my MKV files??

| Fri 27 Dec 2013 20:55:16 #10 |

RSS feed for this topic

Reply »

You must log in to post.