My Humax Forum » Freeview HD » FVP 4000T, 5000T

Unable to use live tv android app on mobile data

(9 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

Pigro

Hi. I have today installed the Humax live tv app (to a Galaxy Note 4). App works fine on my home wifi, but when I use it on a 3G connection, it does not open normally - I get a message saying "disconnected. Your device is in standby mode (which us not true, as I am on my mobile in the same room as the device). There are 3 options offered: "power on device; delete or exit".
    Pressing "power on device" has no effect.

So, my question is, is this expected behaviour (designed not to run over mobile data connections) or is it a bug?

And, does anone know whether it will work OK when my mobile is on other wifi networks other than my own home network (I will test this myself asap, just curious meantime)?

EDIT: added a screenshot of the app error message

Attachments

1. 2017-03-22_17.11.45.png (77.4 KB, 6 downloads) 7 years old
    | Wed 22 Mar 2017 17:07:40 #1 |
  2. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

To give any mobile device not on your home network you need to set up your router to give access to a specific device, and may need to use a dynamic dns service if your ISP regulary changes your ISP address.

I don't have a 4000T so no idea if it's actually possible, but this guide to remotely accessing my VBox IP streaming Freeview-PVR may help you to understand what's involved.

https://www.vboxcomm.com/images/pdfs/VBox_TV_Gateway-How_To_Connect_from_outside_your_home_1.0.pdf

| Wed 22 Mar 2017 17:28:35 #2 |
  3. User has not uploaded an avatar

Pigro

Thanks for the reply. I am pretty well versed in setting up router/firewall rules to port forward various traffic to specific LAN ip addresses.

In this case, however, the app already knows where the 4000T is on the internet (you need to enable the remote access server in its settings, and then register it on the myhumax service using a one time unique registration code. The app claims to offer remote access "whenever, wherever" (and would be largely pointless if it was only usable on the local lan!). So I *think* it is supposed to work "out of the box" with no router configuration, and there is no mention of any such requirement in the app notes.

| Wed 22 Mar 2017 17:44:39 #3 |
  4. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

Pigro - 22 minutes ago  » 
    Thanks for the reply. I am pretty well versed in setting up router/firewall rules to port forward various traffic to specific LAN ip addresses.
    In this case, however, the app already knows where the 4000T is on the internet (you need to enable the remote access server in its settings, and then register it on the myhumax service using a one time unique registration code. The app claims to offer remote access "whenever, wherever" (and would be largely pointless if it was only usable on the local lan!). So I *think* it is supposed to work "out of the box" with no router configuration, and there is no mention of any such requirement in the app notes.

I don't think that is correct. Normally the app doesn't know where your box is, but the server does know. The app uploads your schedule changes to the server using your ID. The box itself accesses the server by booting periodically to check for schedule changes stored on the server. Why your app won't talk to the server over a 3g network I have no idea (I guess it would work if logged onto a WiFI network). In my case remote scheduling talks directly to the Vbox networked box.

To work in the way you suggest the box would need to support wake on lan from an external device, which I doubt it has.

I can watch my vbox recordings remotely but never tried it without having a WiFi connection.

| Wed 22 Mar 2017 18:14:50 #4 |
  5. User has not uploaded an avatar

Pigro

This is my first ever humax product, so I don't know if it is different from previous ones, but the 4000T has the ability to keep the box's network server available while in standby (though this, I think, only refers to the dlna server). It also can keep remote recording schedules up to date "all day" or on a specified time range. Let's see if anyone else is using the app/PVR combo, and can advise whether it works for them or not. You may well be right that a port forward is required for external use, but there is no info on which port(s) and protocols would need forwarded (nor does the app have any setting to 'point' it to a dynamic (or indeed, static) url/port. Irritatingly, I have openvpn running on my router, but thanks to bloody android I can only use a tun client unless I root the galaxy note, which I don't want to. If I could use a tap vpn connection, I could use the app fine over my vpn and it would work fine as the phone and PVR would both be local to each other. Oh well

| Wed 22 Mar 2017 18:43:33 #5 |
  6. User has not uploaded an avatar

Birdbrainuk

I have this same issue. All is fine on the same network but still a problem on 3g/4g still sat in the same room.

I will check when logged on to my works WiFi tomorrow and update you.

| Mon 27 Mar 2017 19:32:35 #6 |
  7. User has not uploaded an avatar

Pigro

Thanks. I have done a bit of digging since my first post - I have found that the ability to stream live & recorded content from the "live tv" app is totally dependant on dlna, which by (stupid!) design needs to run on local LAN only. As I said above, it would work fine over a vpn in tap (bridged) mode, but otherwise it is a non-starter as a remote access app. I can't quite see the point in the mobile app (for me, anyway). Oh well.

| Mon 27 Mar 2017 19:40:33 #7 |
  8. User has not uploaded an avatar

Birdbrainuk

Interesting finding. I travel a lot with my job so would be nice to be able to watch my recordings when away. So app would have been good for me if it worked.

I have just checked at work today and just have one extra interesting thing to add.

When connected to my works Wi-Fi I just get the message telling me that connection might be slow over 3G and then freezes on the start-up screen. Switching off the Wi-Fi causes the "your device is not turned on message" not sure why it is different trying to use the 2 different remote access methods.

I was also thinking of getting and android TV box/stick and using this to be able to watch recordings on a second TV in another room. I am assuming tis will work as it will be on the same network. Any comments on this App running on TV box/stick (it works ok on my phone but we have all seen issues/incompatibilities on other devices)

| Tue 28 Mar 2017 11:00:39 #8 |
  9. User has not uploaded an avatar

David H Boyd

Hi

My LiveTV app works over WiFi but when I was out I tried it via 4g. Think all the settings are correct but got this error message.

| Tue 8 Dec 2020 14:11:37 #9 |

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.