My Humax Forum » Freeview HD » HDR FOX T2

Unit not responding to remote

(14 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

saj42

I see that there are various posts about remote control issues but I've not found a resolution for what I am experiencing. Any help gratefully received.

If power up my HDR Fox T2 the remote works fine for a 'period of time' (now no more than about 30 minutes) then he unit becomes unresponsive. I have programmed the remote to also control the TV and amplifier and they never falter. When the remote becomes unresponsive I can move to within approx 50cm of the box and the remote will work.

It seems to often coincide with the box showing the clock 'screen saver' but not only in this situation. It seems to be a bug or a hardware issue in the unit itself.

| Sun 3 Feb 2013 19:17:29 #1 |
  2. User has not uploaded an avatar

Martin Liddle

special member

I assume you have tried new batteries. How old is the box? If less than two years old might be worth phoning (not emailing) Humax support as they may send out a new remote to eliminate the remote as the cause of the problem.

| Mon 4 Feb 2013 9:47:28 #2 |
  3. User has not uploaded an avatar

saj42

V unlikely to be the remote as it works fine to control the TV and amplifier.

I spoke to Humax who are going to arrange a swap of unit. That said it's worked fine for the last two days.

| Thu 7 Feb 2013 18:29:42 #3 |
  4. User has not uploaded an avatar

mongerdn

I also have this very same problem with my T2 500Gb.

Basically the remote will work fine then suddenly and for no reason become unresponsive on the HDR. Switch to our LG TV and it works fine. Although my remote wont even work within 50cm of the box. I have tried going through the other TV codes as I read that might be it but no luck.

It isn't batteries as tried that. I don't think it's the remote as it works with the TV when failing on the HDR. Tried a software update but it said none available.

The other thing I have noticed is that once it stops working, if we just ignore it for 10 minutes or something it will suddenly be working again.

The only way to get it working again at the time of the fail is to cycle the box power on the unit itself. It seems to me that this is an issue with the box itself.

I bought the box on 26 Dec 2011 so it's 2 years old and the issue bagan after about 20 months I'd say!

Box details are;
    Software Version - 1.02.28
    Loader Version - a7.31
    System ID 80BC.7E00
    Update Date - 26 May 2012
    MICOM Version - 9.3

Whilst the issue isn't critical, it is very annoying. Especially when it's acting up every time you touch the remote!

Any further help on this would be appreciated.

| Sat 28 Dec 2013 12:09:13 #4 |
  5. User has not uploaded an avatar

Tell

I have exactly the same problem as you. I have had it for a year or so now. Bought a new Humax remote control thinking it was that. No.

April I posted up on the other site and there has been no solution although I did read over the XMAS period that HDMI control codes can cause issues, so I've started to experiment with turning my Panasonic codes off, only did that today. The impression I get is that the box is multitasking and listening to the remote is low down on the priority but I might be wrong. It's like when your wireless mouse gets frozen out since your under powered laptop is busy doing other things.

As you say after ten minutes or so, I timed it to ten minutes the other day you get control back. Other theory that I have is some bit of housekeeping is going on during this period.

| Sun 29 Dec 2013 12:29:45 #5 |
  6. User has not uploaded an avatar

Tell

>>I did read over the XMAS period that HDMI control codes can cause issues, so I've started to experiment with turning my Panasonic codes off, only did that today<<

Well that didn't fix it e.g. turning off the HDMI "control with HDMI" option on my Panasonic TV. Same old problem continues.

| Mon 30 Dec 2013 0:58:43 #6 |
  7. User has not uploaded an avatar

DaveMills

This thread is interesting as I have this issue too. My T2 is the 1TB model but the symptoms are exactly as described by Mongerdn and Tell. I have upgraded to 1.02.32 but this has changed nothing. I have had to stop using the T2 as it is now at the point that it will not respond for 99% of the time. If this was a PC I would be looking at the event log for hard disk errors but I do not know if this is possible for the T2. This machine was purchased on 22/Oct/2011 so just out of warrantee.

| Thu 2 Jan 2014 10:56:09 #7 |
  8. ezra pound

ezra pound

special member

This may be caused by electrical 'noise' from the fan, when the unit is cold the fan won't turn on for an hour or so and then will only be on 'Full' for 10 minutes or so before dropping to a slower speed and then off, It's worth checking to see if the remote fails to work at the same time the fan turns on

| Sun 5 Jan 2014 14:08:40 #8 |
  9. User has not uploaded an avatar

Tell

Yes but it does it when the unit first comes on and is cold with the fan not spinning. The diagnostics of the custom software can be used to check hard disk temperature via graphics and speed of fan. You can also check CPU usage. I did go over to using betaftp rather the built in FTP of the box using the custom software.

My problems have reduced now substantially and I'm waiting for a mid time session when it goes wrong and I can check the parameters. What we do know is that the CPU processor is very busy at start up when these events happen and the fan isn't running. Since mid week all has been good soon after boot up so I'm think that I've managed to reduce these problems down. I also did the built in disk check which reported no problems.

Bottom graph below shows HD temperature shaded by fan speed. Light green no fan, red full fan, dark blue blue half fan, light blue quarter fan.

Top graph CPU usage.

Both graphs over a 24 hour period with boots as shown.

| Mon 6 Jan 2014 0:36:37 #9 |
  10. User has not uploaded an avatar

Tell

OK graphics of CPU usage, HD temperature and fan speed as evidence.

Attachments

1. chart-HD_temperature_and_fan_speed.jpeg (15.8 KB, 6 downloads) 10 years old
    2. chart-CPU_usage.jpeg (14.9 KB, 3 downloads) 10 years old
    | Mon 6 Jan 2014 0:45:02 #10 |

RSS feed for this topic

Reply »

You must log in to post.