My Humax Forum » Freeview HD » YouView DTR-T

Unlock BT TV - Humax 91-00438

(8 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

MitcheCA

I have a BT TV Youview box which is a rebadged Humax DTR-T2100/500GB/BT/DF, Model 91-00438. I no longer subscribe to BT TV so am unable to update software, Apps etc. Everything including Netflix works fine, but Amazon Prime Video doesn’t work. I can access the APV App and navigate within it to a film etc, but when I try to play anything it won’t play. I’ve spoken, at length to APV help and everything points to an out of date APV App – which I can’t update.

Can I unlock this box from BT TV so that I can then update software, apps etc?

If so how?

I’m new to this so step by step idiot proof guidance would be appreciated.

| Tue 15 Nov 2022 12:13:43 #1 |
  2. User has not uploaded an avatar

jdlfreetime

special member

Hi MitcheCA,

Welcome to the forum. I am also on the Youview comminuty forum:
    https://community.youview.com/youview/

where you will find more help regarding Youview box.

Your Box should still work ok even without having a subscription to BT. When you refer to software updates, which version are you on at the moment? Your BT T2100 should currently be on around 32.141.0 / 3.8.50 as per this link:

https://support.youview.com/youview-box/software-updates/bt-software-update-32-141-0-3-8-50/

You may already have received this or your box is due soon to obtain it. Youview roll the updates out in batches, not everyone gets them at same time. But if you are referring to the new features with the BT Pro box, this is not available on your box (as far as I know currently/not sure about future updates being rolled out).

With regards recordings everything recorded EXCEPT subscription channels should play correct with no problems. BT will have encrypted/i.e. blocked you from watching these as you are no longer subscribed. That's how these giants inc. Virgin/Sky make money! I only record Freeview channels. If still not working with normal recordings, try doing a reset - press POWER BUTTON for softreset for 8-10 secs, (NOT factory reset within menu settings, as this deletes recordings), Or there is a method to get round this for further options. If you need help, please ask. You have to do a maintnenance mode reboot, that gives you various options. Option 2 is the best one to use to reset with losing recordings.

Hopefully I have given you some help & information. Please let forum know how you get on. John L

| Tue 15 Nov 2022 15:03:20 #2 |
  3. User has not uploaded an avatar

MitcheCA

Jdlfreetime

Thanks for your reply.

If I go to Settings > Software Information on my BT Youview box I see:

Last checked for update 15 Nov 2022

Last checked for apps 15 Nov 2022

Component software 3.8.50(535d02)

Manufacturer software 32.141.0

Platform configuration 4856 (0AB0C301)

ISP configuration 2301308

If I click on Update Software it tells me I running the latest version of software.

If I click on Update Apps I get We can’t update your Apps, Please try again later (I have already done so several times over several days) or visit bt.com/tverrorsfor help. When I do so it asks for an error code, which I don’t get.

I think that because I cancelled my BT TV subscription some time ago I’m no longer getting App updates, which Amazon Prime Video say is the cause of the problem – APV plays fine on my Android phone and my Ubuntu PC. Or have I misunderstood how this works.

APV Help also suggested I clear the App Cache, but I can’t find this anywhere.

APV used to work albeit very sluggishly compared to Netflix, having seen the Software update link I note that the new version was rolled out from 10 Oct, shortly before my problem started. Could the new software release be the cause of my problem?

Latest is that I now get sound from the APV App but no video!

Is there anyway I can get into the BT TV box to delete then reinstall the APV App?

Thanks for your help so far.

| Tue 15 Nov 2022 16:28:08 #3 |
  4. User has not uploaded an avatar

jdlfreetime

special member

Hi MitcheCA,

That's CORRECT!!! Even mine has got that! You will only get updates when Youview distribute them again. They only issue bug fixes & occasionally a new feature when design team have come up with an idea (that you either love/dislike!)If you keep requesting software update you will get same message. Best thing to do is look on the Youview support page or BT tv page for software update information. Apps also are only occasionally updated, normally included in software update/not sure why they do a separate menu for app updates.

The only other thing I can think of is if you get any problems due to BT ISP subscription/menu maybe slightly different software then you need to do a software reset via Maintenance mode setup.

https://support.youview.com/youview-box/box-and-remote/using-maintenance-mode/

BUT this is only for reseting box with firmware issues/i.e. problems with box. It will only take you back one step & then reload the current software.

If you want to refresh your box, carefully read the maintenance mode & follow carefully the instructions. Just a slight knack in resetting box. It does work if you run into problems, but be warned in cases can totally jam your box if a hardware fault. Make sure internet is working correctly first as Youview box needs this to work correctly. Hope this all makes sense? John L

| Tue 15 Nov 2022 16:41:54 #4 |
  5. User has not uploaded an avatar

Luke

special member

MitcheCA - 9 hours ago  » 
    Amazon Prime Video doesn’t work. I can access the APV App and navigate within it to a film etc, but when I try to play anything it won’t play. I’ve spoken, at length to APV help and everything points to an out of date APV App – which I can’t update.

All youview boxes provide 5 different resets. The easiest to access is via their menus, but that will also delete all your recordings and you would also need to setup everything again.
    There are 4 other resets and with the appropriate selection you can reload the software and keep your recordings.
    For full details see https://support.youview.com/youview-box/box-and-remote/using-maintenance-mode/

Can I unlock this box from BT TV so that I can then update software, apps etc?
    If so how?

As it is not locked to BT TV the answer is no. It is already "unlocked".

I have a BT TV Youview box which is a rebadged Humax DTR-T2100/500GB/BT/DF, Model 91-00438. I no longer subscribe to BT TV so am unable to update software, Apps etc.

I too have a 91-00438 and have also been involved with a couple of others of the same model.
    These are not locked to BT despite originally being provided to BT subscribers.

All youview boxes, including yours, will adapt their screen displays according to which ISP it is connected to. From your description it sounds as though you are still with BT. While you remain with BT, as your ISP, the on screen display will stay the same. To remove BT livery from your box you will need to change your ISP away from BT, but that won't make any difference to your box's updates that you are interested in.

When any youview box, including those not previously associated or obtained from BT, will do within a few hours of being connected to BT as an ISP, will change themselves to have BT livery, including the BT epg clutter.

If you do not have a BT TV subscription but your box is still connected to the internet then updates will still go ahead as you are used to. BT do still have some control over when updates take place on your 91-00438 but there is no differentiation between one using a BT TV subscription, one using BT as their ISP but no subscription, and one using a different ISP.

They will all receive the update when it is their boxes turn, or on the first day of release if you attempt to manually update, before the end of the day, on the day of the release.

| Tue 15 Nov 2022 22:26:28 #5 |
  6. User has not uploaded an avatar

jdlfreetime

special member

Thank you Luke for the software information. Hopefully this has now answered your question in more detail MitcheCA. Loads of help there. John L

| Wed 16 Nov 2022 12:13:18 #6 |
  7. User has not uploaded an avatar

MitcheCA

Thanks Luke and jdlfreetime.
    I now have a much better understanding of how this works and what my options are.
    I will study the Maintenance Reset options and take it from there.

| Wed 16 Nov 2022 20:42:48 #7 |
  8. User has not uploaded an avatar

jdlfreetime

special member

Hi MitcheCA,

No problem. Good luck & hope you are able to get your pvr to work more smoothly.

The Youview community forum covers the Youview models in more detail if you need further help. You can also try the BT TV forum. John L

| Wed 16 Nov 2022 21:37:58 #8 |

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.