My Humax Forum » Freesat HD » FOXSAT HDR

Upgrade Loader?

(5 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

whimsy

I have recently aquired a Foxsat-HDR 320gb box.
    I am interested in the custom firmware but am concerned that my loader is U7.52.I have tried to upgrade with a file that appeared to be for upgrade to U7.54 but it did not work.
    I carefully followed instructions as to how to install from USB stick.
    Notes suggest a small i.e. 1gb stick ideal but the smallest i have is 4gb.
    Can anyone help. I do not wont to take a chance of killing my box

| Tue 3 Mar 2015 16:01:58 #1 |
  2. User has not uploaded an avatar

damian

special member

I have U7.54 and no usb sticks smaller than 2GB, I also have old upgrade files with the version number in the title i.e. FOXSAT-HDR_upgrade_10012.hdf,

later releases were simply called FOXSAT-HDR_upgrade.hdf in a zip format and I can't remember whether it was necessary to remove the version number on earlier releases, i.e. to change the filename to FOXSAT-HDR_upgrade.hdf

What's always worked for me, if the usb stick isn't empty copy anything off you want to keep. Fully format the usb stick to fat32, not the quick option (only takes a coupe of minutes). Copy the upgrade file across, you may or may not need to rename it, so that it's the only file on the usb stick. put the foxsat into standby, switch off at rear, run hand along left hand side to rear oorner and switch off. put usb stick into front usb port, switch back on again at rear, screen should show update progress.

once the loader has completed successfully you can do the same with the firmware.

If you're still struggling, it's possible that the U7.52 to U7.54 did actually need a 1GB or smaller usb drive, if you can't get hold of a 1GB then a 2GB fully formatted to fat16 (not quick and not fat32) should work (that's probably how I got it to work)

let us know how you get on.

| Tue 3 Mar 2015 17:38:22 #2 |
  3. REPASSAC

REPASSAC

special member

It is not necessary to update the loader. Updates are generally for production reasons.

| Wed 4 Mar 2015 8:36:32 #3 |
  4. User has not uploaded an avatar

whimsy

Hi Guys
    Thanks for your replys.
    I have succesfully upgraded my loader to U7.54.
    A solution which i have not seen mentioned is if you have a large but empty usb stick and a PC with partition software you can create a small partition on the USB stick leaving the rest unallocated (format fat32)
    One other thing that i may have previously overlooked was renaming the file i was using.
    So now i am confidant enough to try the custom upgrade.
    Thanks again

| Wed 4 Mar 2015 11:50:00 #4 |
  5. User has not uploaded an avatar

damian

special member

thanks for the update Whimsy, glad to see it's working. That's a useful tip with partitioning the usb stick.
    There's not much info around U7.52 and any limitations it had, all the later firmware refers to U7.53/U7.54 which as Repassac pointed out won't need updating.
    Raydon's CF is brilliant, it'll give the box a new lease and although it doesn't have the frills of the newer boxes it's much better if you want a bog standard reliable user friendly box.
    A lot of the problems, rate of return etc. on the newer boxes are of Humax's own making as the customer can't check/fix even the most simplest of things and the box has to be returned by disgruntled customers who then understandably bad mouth the product. CF allows you to look after the box and turns it into something you'd want to keep.

| Wed 4 Mar 2015 15:15:07 #5 |

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.