My Humax Forum » Freesat HD » FOXSAT HDR

Urg, No Signal

(8 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

JackRegan

Been having intermittent channel problems for a while, probably started last year and would come and go with big periods of being fine. Always the same channels missing, BBC[1/2], CH4 .. But the HD versions were always be fine so never really looked into it.

The disk is a very early sky model with an equally early quad lnb. FoxSat is 27Months old.

Recently took a turn for the worse so I replaced all the f/plugs and had a local company in to check the dish and lnb. They had a good 90% signal on all 4 polarities.

Contacted Humax and they suggested a factory reset. Which has resulted in now loosing all the channels. 11428H has 0 signal. A manual tune picks up some channels.

I'm still suspicious of a 6+ year old LNB but it would seem to point to the box. Got a support call open with Humax so will follow up.

Throwing it out onto the forum in case anyone else has any ideas.

| Sun 11 Aug 2013 19:00:47 #1 |
  2. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

Checking all 4 polarisations means zilch. Which location 28.2 or 28.5E were they checking and which transponder. It's very doubtfull it's the box.

Download the .HTM file from here

https://skydrive.live.com/#cid=1698F958AF9ACDA4&id=1698F958AF9ACDA4%21105

Open it in your browser, using manual tune check each transponder in turn.

Note the satellite for transponders you can't get. Most likely they will be Eutelsat28A transponders.

Just a guess your lnb is likely to be on the way out.

| Sun 11 Aug 2013 20:30:20 #2 |
  3. User has not uploaded an avatar

JackRegan

Thanks for the advice.

TBH I expected the 'experts' to want to replace the LNB. Came, tested, blamed the box and left. In the time they did that they could have replaced the LNB & Dish and made a few quid.

Will go through the list and check. I have a new LNB but the dish is super old so wont fit w/out hacking.

| Mon 12 Aug 2013 8:32:19 #3 |
  4. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

JackRegan - 1 hour ago  » 
    Thanks for the advice.
    TBH I expected the 'experts' to want to replace the LNB. Came, tested, blamed the box and left. In the time they did that they could have replaced the LNB & Dish and made a few quid.
    Will go through the list and check. I have a new LNB but the dish is super old so wont fit w/out hacking.

Can you borrow a digital satellite receiver of some description, an old sky box will do to check what sort of reception you have.

| Mon 12 Aug 2013 10:02:15 #4 |
  5. User has not uploaded an avatar

JackRegan

Results : https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/7453049/sat_channels.htm

I may have an old box in the loft .. will check that.

But I think you are right, LNB. Anyone know if the bolt holes are consistent on the mini dish fixings ? Have LNB & will fit a dish. Just missing decent drill ..

or recommend a reliable company in East London ?

| Mon 12 Aug 2013 18:47:42 #5 |
  6. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

Unless you have a very old Mk1 Sky Dish then a Sky lnb from e-bay with a legacy adaptor will fit. Check the cables very carefully for signs of water ingress and termination corrosion.

| Mon 12 Aug 2013 19:43:13 #6 |
  7. User has not uploaded an avatar

JackRegan

I do have a very old dish .. Its the one with a thin spigot(?) and a mk2 wistron lnb (via satcure)

Already checked, and changed both ends. new tight plugs and there was no sign of water damage.

found a sky box, so going to try that tonight.

| Tue 13 Aug 2013 11:32:59 #7 |
  8. User has not uploaded an avatar

JackRegan

Sky HD box. Has missing channels, but different ones that with the HDR. I naively assumed they would be the same.

But still seems to indicate LNB

| Wed 14 Aug 2013 18:35:56 #8 |

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.