My Humax Forum » Freeview HD » FVP 4000T, 5000T

USB drive kills server

(13 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

Bitterman

special member

Warning long post-Sorry
    I have struggled to transfer recordings and recordings disappeared from the view of ios and android devices. Also only USB sticks/cards would work USB drives would not be seen properly.

After a factory Reset all recordings and files returned, they were visible from smart tv PS's everything.

So I tried a transfer to a stick, as before unsuccessful. Wondering again if a USB drive was any better I connected one. As before the FVP does not see it properly.
    So I thought I would try a transfer to a tablet using Media player app, all the recordings had gone again. Checked on PC and ios and nothing was there again.
    Resetting the server and a full power down do not help.

So again a factory reset and again everything returns.

I now think I have a defective box, it would appear if I connect a USB drive the internal file system corrupts and the server goes screwy. Can anyone else connect a USB drive without issue, I have tried both USB and mains powered drives.

| Fri 26 Aug 2016 20:49:23 #1 |
  2. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

From reading the threads on this box (I do not have one). You can only transfer files to a PC. Also if you want to decrypt SD recordings so you can use them on other kit you need Windows 10, otherwise they remain encrypted..

Transfer to a usb device for SD recordings should work (If slowly due to the decryption process).

Using a mobile device is restricted to viewing
    only,

Apologies if I got this wrong, but this appears to be the situation.

| Fri 26 Aug 2016 21:17:22 #2 |
  3. User has not uploaded an avatar

Luddym

special member

grahamlthompson - 1 hour ago  » 
    From reading the threads on this box (I do not have one). You can only transfer files to a PC. Also if you want to decrypt SD recordings so you can use them on other kit you need Windows 10, otherwise they remain encrypted..
    Transfer to a usb device for SD recordings should work (If slowly due to the decryption process).
    Using a mobile device is restricted to viewing
    only,
    Apologies if I got this wrong, but this appears to be the situation.

Ive never used windows 10, but I unencrypt my files by downloading them onto my tablet using the Humax android app 'media player', then the video files play on anything - so far windows 7, Ubuntu and many different android boxes. So it definitely should work.

I'm fact, I find that using the android app to transfer video files is about four times faster than copying to usb - and actually more reliable.

| Fri 26 Aug 2016 22:32:03 #3 |
  4. User has not uploaded an avatar

Luddym

special member

Bitterman - 1 hour ago  » 
    So again a factory reset and again everything returns.
    I now think I have a defective box, it would appear if I connect a USB drive the internal file system corrupts and the server goes screwy. Can anyone else connect a USB drive without issue, I have tried both USB and mains powered drives.

Yesterday I connected a 32gb Toshiba pen-drive to copy some Avi's. Before that I have been using the media player app to copy files no problem - so I checked if I could still see my recordings on the app. But, now I have the same problem that you have - the 'my contents' folder is empty.

It's slightly odd. I'll see if I can sort it without a factory reset, but I think that's going to be the only way.

| Fri 26 Aug 2016 22:54:35 #4 |
  5. Barry

Barry

senior admin

PC transfer worked on win 8.1 and 10 when I tested it as per my FAQ.

Connecting a WD passport portable HDD I can copy HD content without issue, however I am not having same success with SD recordings which did work in the past....I'll take this up with Humax Towers next week.

Edit: 27/08 - Some SD transfer/copy now appears to be working using same HDD? - still investigating

I'll try a few different size pendrives tomorrow.

| Fri 26 Aug 2016 22:55:09 #5 |
  6. User has not uploaded an avatar

BB

Barry - 9 hours ago
    Connecting a WD passport portable HDD I can copy HD content without issue

Can you play that copied content on your PC or only on the box it originated from?

| Sat 27 Aug 2016 8:30:38 #6 |
  7. Barry

Barry

senior admin

BB - 3 hours ago  » 

Barry - 9 hours ago
    Connecting a WD passport portable HDD I can copy HD content without issue

Can you play that copied content on your PC or only on the box it originated from?

You can play SD content but not HD.

| Sat 27 Aug 2016 11:43:03 #7 |
  8. User has not uploaded an avatar

BB

So what's the point of transferring HD to an external drive if you can't play it back on your PC or the original box
    What can you do with it?

| Sat 27 Aug 2016 17:19:45 #8 |
  9. Barry

Barry

senior admin

BB - 21 minutes ago  » 
    So what's the point of transferring HD to an external drive if you can't play it back on your PC or the original box
    What can you do with it?

You can play HD transferred to an external HDD on the original unit.

Free up space on the internal HDD.

| Sat 27 Aug 2016 17:41:35 #9 |
  10. User has not uploaded an avatar

Martin Liddle

special member

BB - 21 minutes ago  » 

What makes you think you can't play HD (copied to USB) on the box that recorded it?

| Sat 27 Aug 2016 17:41:59 #10 |

RSS feed for this topic

Reply »

You must log in to post.