My Humax Forum » Freeview HD » FVP 4000T, 5000T

USB Drives (not sticks) not recognised

(19 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

Bitterman

special member

My FVP would not recognise USB drives unless formatted by the FVP itself. USB sticks seemed fine.

I finally exchanged the unit as faulty and the replacement is the same.
    Is this just incredibly bad luck or am I missing something!
    Scouring the internet and nobody else reports units suffering this fault. The unit is the 1TB Mocha.

I have tried 2 portable seagate drives (FAT32), 1 powered desktop drive(multiple partitions FAT32 exFAT and NTFS) and an ex-PS3 hard disk in a USB caddy (FAT32).
    All drives can be used with 2 Samsung TV's, a PS3, a PS4 , PC or another Humax device.
    Help

| Tue 20 Sep 2016 22:45:07 #1 |
  2. User has not uploaded an avatar

RichardS-UK

special member

That is odd. The way my FVP-4000 handles USB sticks and disk drives is one of the few things which actually seems to work properly. We plug in the USB disk with the Humax on and after 15 seconds a menu comes up asking whether you want to search for video, music or photos.

We use a couple of USB disks, 500GB or smaller, and they both seem to work well.

Sorry if this doesn't help.

Richard

| Wed 21 Sep 2016 20:58:12 #2 |
  3. User has not uploaded an avatar

Bitterman

special member

RichardS-UK - 40 minutes ago  » 
    That is odd. The way my FVP-4000 handles USB sticks and disk drives is one of the few things which actually seems to work properly. We plug in the USB disk with the Humax on and after 15 seconds a menu comes up asking whether you want to search for video, music or photos.
    We use a couple of USB disks, 500GB or smaller, and they both seem to work well.
    Sorry if this doesn't help.
    Richard

Thanks for the reply. Humax have agreed it is faulty, pretty amazing bad luck I get 2 with the same fault. They were from the same store but it was Feb when I got the first and would not expect it to be the same batch.
    Cross fingers for the next which I will get direct from Humax.

| Wed 21 Sep 2016 21:40:30 #3 |
  4. User has not uploaded an avatar

Bitterman

special member

OK now this is really baffling me.
    I have received my third unit and still I have the same issue.
    RichardS, is your FVP a 500GB or 1TB model?

The only USB disk that has worked was one which the FVP formatted to NTFS and once connected took a while (which I intend to time) to be recognised.

Is anyone unfortunate enough to also live in the Rochdale, Bury, Oldham area willing to let me try one of my drives on their machine?

| Tue 11 Oct 2016 12:49:02 #4 |
  5. User has not uploaded an avatar

Bitterman

special member

I wonder if this is just an issue with the 1TB version.
    Is anyone with a 1TB FVP managing to use an external hard drive with it formatted in FAT32.
    A drive in NTFS does appear to work; it takes roughly 1 minute to be recognised, is that normal?
    A NTFS partition on a drive is not seen.

| Wed 12 Oct 2016 8:53:53 #5 |
  6. User has not uploaded an avatar

RichardS-UK

special member

Bitterman - 1 week ago  » 
    OK now this is really baffling me.
    I have received my third unit and still I have the same issue.
    RichardS, is your FVP a 500GB or 1TB model?
    The only USB disk that has worked was one which the FVP formatted to NTFS and once connected took a while (which I intend to time) to be recognised.
    Is anyone unfortunate enough to also live in the Rochdale, Bury, Oldham area willing to let me try one of my drives on their machine?

Sorry about delay. Mine is the 1TB version. I'm still having problems with the random reboot but USB port seems to be fine.

Richard

| Mon 24 Oct 2016 9:06:46 #6 |
  7. User has not uploaded an avatar

Bitterman

special member

No problem and thanks for the reply. Humax are looking into it after several e-mails and calls as a 3rd exchange unit would be pushing it.
    I had hoped it was a 1TB problem as no-one else is reporting it.

| Mon 24 Oct 2016 12:36:47 #7 |
  8. User has not uploaded an avatar

captgeneralmark

Bitterman, is the usb drive you're using externally powered or does it take it's power from the usb port? If the latter it probably needs more power than the FVP4000T can deliver.

For information, I've no problem with either a mains-powered 1TB drive or a usb-powered 3TB drive designed for use on low-powered laptops.

| Mon 24 Oct 2016 18:58:54 #8 |
  9. User has not uploaded an avatar

Bitterman

special member

Hi Mark
    I have tried 2 portable seagate drives (FAT32), 1 powered desktop drive(multiple partitions FAT32 exFAT and NTFS) and an ex-PS3 hard disk in a USB caddy (FAT32).
    All drives can be used with 2 Samsung TV's, a PS3, a PS4 , PC or another Humax device.
    An NTFS drive without partitions will work, nothing else will, but if I format NTFS the PS3, Samsung TV and Denon AVR won't recognise them !

| Tue 25 Oct 2016 14:15:46 #9 |
  10. REPASSAC

REPASSAC

special member

Bitterman - 4 minutes ago  » 
    Hi Mark
    An NTFS drive without partitions will work, nothing else will, but if I format NTFS the PS3, Samsung TV and Denon AVR won't recognise them !

"An NTFS drive without partitions will work" that will be a single partition.
    Why not try multiple partitions with HTFS as the first?
    FAT32 has a limit on file size of 4GB which a HD recording could exceed and therefore fail.

| Tue 25 Oct 2016 14:22:12 #10 |

RSS feed for this topic

Reply »

You must log in to post.