My Humax Forum » Freesat HD » FOXSAT HDR

USB format difficulties

(9 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

JMc

Hello - I have a Foxsat HDR and want to copy a recording onto a 32GB USB. The Foxsat recognised the USB and all was well until I tried to copy - I got a message saying unable to copy larger than 4G. So, I discovered how to reformat into EXFAT using disc utility on my macbook. All went well until I put the USB into the Foxsat again. Now it reads 'cannot read USB...format USB device to EXT3 or FAT16/32 on your pc'. The USB is/was FAT 32 but it has to be exfat to copy files exceeding 4G...am I missing something. Apologies for the length of this post...I would appreciate any advice prior to throwing this human out of the window!! Thank you in advance.

| Fri 20 Jul 2018 17:45:27 #1 |
  2. User has not uploaded an avatar

Martin Liddle

special member

JMc - 5 minutes ago  » 
    So, I discovered how to reformat into EXFAT using disc utility on my macbook. All went well until I put the USB into the Foxsat again. Now it reads 'cannot read USB...format USB device to EXT3 or FAT16/32 on your pc'. The USB is/was FAT 32 but it has to be exfat to copy files exceeding 4G...am I missing something.

the Humax doesn't support the EXFAT file system. So for a program over 4GB your only options are the Linux EXT2 or EXT3 file systems.

| Fri 20 Jul 2018 17:53:29 #2 |
  3. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

Alternatively install the custom firmware and copy the files directly to a computer either using Samba or FTP.

| Fri 20 Jul 2018 18:46:14 #3 |
  4. User has not uploaded an avatar

JMc

Thank you for both responses - very helpful. A quick search tells me that Mac OS does not support EXT2 for Linux so maybe I'll look into custom firmware. Thank again - much appreciated.

| Fri 20 Jul 2018 18:51:45 #4 |
  5. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

JMc - 11 minutes ago  » 
    Thank you for both responses - very helpful. A quick search tells me that Mac OS does not support EXT2 for Linux so maybe I'll look into custom firmware. Thank again - much appreciated.

You could also boot your MAC into linux using a usb distro.

https://www.ubuntu.com/download/desktop

Note if using a usb hard drive with a Foxsat it has to be EXT3.

| Fri 20 Jul 2018 19:04:25 #5 |
  6. User has not uploaded an avatar

JMc

Brilliant - and thanks for the tip.

| Fri 20 Jul 2018 19:50:29 #6 |
  7. User has not uploaded an avatar

JMc

I have now managed to format in EXT - my only choices are extfs2 -3 or extfs4. I have just tried extfs3 and the humax can read it but says the disc has no room? Any thoughts?

| Sat 21 Jul 2018 17:03:55 #7 |
  8. User has not uploaded an avatar

Martin Liddle

special member

JMc - 19 hours ago  » 
    I have now managed to format in EXT - my only choices are extfs2 -3 or extfs4. I have just tried extfs3 and the humax can read it but says the disc has no room?

What is the capacity of the USB drive you are using?

| Sun 22 Jul 2018 12:13:56 #8 |
  9. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

Guessing the recording will be HD as only a very long SD recording would exceed 4GB. HD is encrypted so if you managed to copy it to USB you still can only play it back on the machine that recorded it.

If you are really stuck remove the usb drive from it's case (drive must be 1TB or smaller), disconnect the internal drive and connect the usb hard drive to the Foxsat data and power connections. Start up the Foxsat and let it initialise the disk. Power Off and replace the original HDD. The usb drive now formatted should work fine when connected to the usb port.

The partition used for recordings is SDA3.

Installing the custom firmware and using the web interface to access the box is by far the best solution.

| Sun 22 Jul 2018 18:44:05 #9 |

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.