My Humax Forum » Freeview HD » HDR FOX T2

Using an HDR Fox T2 with a non-digital TV.....

(3 posts)
  1. Trevor Wright

Trevor Wright

This is probably an FAQ, but despite two emails to Humax UK Support I have received no reply. Having found this Forum, hopefully you can provide an expert answer.

Following a survey. I've selected the HDR Fox T2 as the likely PVR which fits my current and likely future needs, but for the present I want to run it into a normal widescreen NON-digital TV, a standard 625-line jobby. No doubt I'll upgrade to a digital HD TV in the future.

The Scart on the Fox outputs at "576i" which I understand is another way of saying "625 line". It works in CVBS or RGB and the RGB I'm told may yield the best image. I'm guessing you can record in HD or SD and it will be rescaled to 576i/625 line? Also, does an HD recording result in a better 625 picture than the equivalent SD recording, or is there no difference.

I asked Which? and they confirmed it would not work and I should select a non-HD PVR to work with my TV, which I suspect is not correct.

Any advice on this matter may give me the confidence to proceed to buy a Fox before my region goes to full digital in July.

Thanks

| Wed 22 Jun 2011 19:37:20 #1 |
  2. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

You can use the box with a scart connection which will deliver 576i (downscaled for HD channels) no problem. Preferably use a RGB scart on the TV and select to output RGB on the box for best quality. And yes 1080i downscaled to 576i looks better due to the higher bitrates used to deliver HD.

The TV scart will deliver RGB or composite (CVBS). The vcr scart will normally offer s-video or composite.

PAL 625 is in fact the same as 576i in terms of lines. PAL only delivers video using 576 of the 625 lines. 1080i actually delivers 1088 lines but again there's no video on the last 8 lines.

To reassure you I have FOX T2 HD (the competition prize
    )
    The box is connected by hdmi to the lounge TV and a PAL modulator to send SD pictures to a kitchen TV. Same arrangement for a Foxsat-hdr

| Wed 22 Jun 2011 19:44:54 #2 |
  3. User has not uploaded an avatar

Exiled_in_HH

Just to underline ... WHICH? are wrong.

| Sat 25 Jun 2011 12:45:54 #3 |

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.