My Humax Forum » Freesat HD » FOXSAT HDR

using the foxsat as a NAS

(9 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

BearNecessities

My old computer is running out of HDD space so I'm trying to copy 30GB of music into the music folder of the humax hdr.

All was going swimmingly until it had transferred about 12Gb and started telling me that the drive i have mapped to \\humax\media\music is full.

not really sure what to make of that because I have only used 30% of a 500GB HDD according to the stat presented in humax media page

Is there some kind of restriction on how much data the music folder can hold?

| Sun 14 Oct 2012 0:57:09 #1 |
  2. User has not uploaded an avatar

dino

special member

Yes there is a limit. You can check from the diagnostic menu.

It will depending on the overall hard disk size of the machine and if you adjusted the relative limits of the storage areas for music and photos.

12G of 500GB is 2.4% which I think could be the default size.

So even if you have plenty of space left on video, the music limit could well be kicking in.

| Sun 14 Oct 2012 8:11:41 #2 |
  3. User has not uploaded an avatar

Partridge2

Yes the hard drive on the Humax is formatted into four separate partitions. Out of the box the largest is for video (hda3 which has 267 GB in the 320 GB Foxsat HDR) whereas the music and photos folders are on a smaller partition hda4 (which has 25 GB in the 320 GB machine). More details here:
    http://foxsatdisk.wikispaces.com/The+HDR+filesystem

I can't remember if you can use the on-screen display to shift the partition sizes between video and music/photos. You can certainly do this manually but for that you will have to be comfortable with taking the HDD out of the HDR (which invalidates the warranty), connecting it to a computer, re-doing the partitions and re-installing into the HDR.

Seeing as you are using the custom firmware, then in telnet if you enter "df -h" it will tell you how much disk space is free on each partition. For music/photos you need to look for the line starting "/dev/hda4". Or just enter "df -h /dev/hda4" in telnet to show this partition only.

| Sun 14 Oct 2012 9:19:09 #3 |
  4. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

You can adjust the partition allocation directly on a Foxsat but only by reformatting both partitions from the HDD control menu. If the OP wants to do this then it will first require the existing content of the video music and photo folders copying to a PC. It maybe a good idea also to back up the opt folder containing the custom firmware (not sure if the process will affect this).

Partridge2 will probably know if this is required.

To reformat.

Menu/System/HDD Control/Format HDD elect to format both partitions and you get a slider to adjust the memory allocation.

Personally I would use a usb hard disc with suitable folders connected to the rear usb port. I have a 1TB connected this way, you can copy recorded videos and external video content (AV2HDR required), music and photos to this and replay direct from usb so no need to fill up the internal HDD.

| Sun 14 Oct 2012 10:47:45 #4 |
  5. User has not uploaded an avatar

dino

special member

I'm wondering why the mapped drive would report full at 12GB. Unless the setting had been changed or the maybe default for the music got reduced on the 500GB model. The output of df -h will reveal all.

| Sun 14 Oct 2012 11:37:36 #5 |
  6. User has not uploaded an avatar

zeke

I was tempted to use the Foxsat HDR to back up some things earlier on, but the transfer speeds via FTP across the network are too slow for anything over a few GB, IMO. I have a pretty decent gigabit-capable LAN with a pro grade unmanaged switch doing most of the heavy lifting and can get 50-80MB/s from one gigabit machine to another depending on HDD speed, processor load on the host machine etc, but with the Foxsat it seems to average 2MB/s at best. For reference, that's about the same speed as a PS2 console with a HDD and network adapter added... sluggish indeed!

| Tue 23 Oct 2012 0:54:11 #6 |
  7. REPASSAC

REPASSAC

special member

How is the Foxsat connected to the network? Filezilla for example does try and run two streams at once.

| Tue 23 Oct 2012 8:10:49 #7 |
  8. User has not uploaded an avatar

zeke

Filezilla on Windows machine, one stream at a time, Foxsat is wired by Cat6 cable directly to the switch, still really slow. Can't be helped really!

| Tue 23 Oct 2012 22:58:12 #8 |
  9. User has not uploaded an avatar

dino

special member

For what it is worth, using FTP, I typically get 45Mbit/s when pulling files from HDR to PC and 14Mbit/s when pushing files from PC to HDR.

This is with the HDR tuned to an SD channel and the 10/100 interface of the HDR connected at 100FD. The PC is by no means high performance and may be doing other things.

By comparison, with my NAS (connected to a 1000M interface) files get moved at around 250Mbit/s (either direction).

I'd say the data rate from the HDR is pretty much as you'd expect while data rate to the HDR might appear sluggish - but it is not unacceptable as we are discussing an HDR, not a NAS. After all, you just queue up the data and go and do something more interesting.

| Wed 24 Oct 2012 7:55:39 #9 |

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.