My Humax Forum » Freeview HD » FVP 4000T, 5000T

Vibration

(7 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

DoubleD55

I've had a 5000T for the past 8 months and just recently it has started making a buzzing/vibration after it has been on a short while. Gentle tapping on the case seems to cure it but it returns after a short while.
    I have been on to Humax and they have recommended a Factory Reset which I have done but it makes no difference.
    Has anyone any ideas as I don't want to have to send it back and possibly loose any recordings and also be without it for a period
    Thanks in advance

| Wed 8 Nov 2023 11:05:58 #1 |
  2. User has not uploaded an avatar

fedman1

special member

The cause could be for several reasons:-
    Hard drive developing a fault.
    A component on the mother board such a small inductor / choke, these are often secured to the printed circuit board with a flexible gunk which can over time harden causing the component to resonate. If the 5000T uses an internal mains power supply that could be the area where you may find the above inductors.
    PLEASE NOTE
    To check all of the above will require the removal of the top cover / security label. Dangerous mains voltages may be found, and extreme care should be taken to avoid receiving a fatal electric shock.
    So if in doubt don't open it up, also it will invalidate any warrenty still operating.

| Wed 8 Nov 2023 13:34:48 #2 |
  3. User has not uploaded an avatar

fedman1

special member

Of course I forgot to mention another more obvious cause which could be the internal fan.

| Wed 8 Nov 2023 13:42:05 #3 |
  4. User has not uploaded an avatar

Martin Liddle

special member

DoubleD55 - 1 day ago  » 
    I've had a 5000T for the past 8 months and just recently it has started making a buzzing/vibration after it has been on a short while.

How loud is the buzzing? In my experience all Humax PVRs make some noise from the hard drive or if fitted, an internal fan. We must be getting close to the point where it is economic to use SSDs in PVRs but until then I doubt that they will be completely silent.

| Thu 9 Nov 2023 19:36:42 #4 |
  5. User has not uploaded an avatar

DoubleD55

Thanks for the replies

From what has been said it looks like I will have to take the warranty route as the noise is very loud - there is something causing the case to vibrate badly

If it was out of warranty I would take the case off but in view of the warranty I won't risk it

Thanks again

| Fri 10 Nov 2023 7:06:25 #5 |
  6. User has not uploaded an avatar

EEPhil

special member

DoubleD55 - 1 day ago  » 
    I've had a 5000T for the past 8 months and just recently it has started making a buzzing/vibration after it has been on a short while. Gentle tapping on the case seems to cure it but it returns after a short while.
    I have been on to Humax and they have recommended a Factory Reset

I've had a 5000T for a number of years and it has displayed this problem in the past. A Factory Reset is Humax's standard response and won't achieve anything.
    Mine doesn't often make the noise now. I can only put it down to re-siting the device. At one time I put a paperweight on the top of the Humax to keep it quiet. It is very unlikely to be a fault - just poor build quality. If it's within warranty you could replace it, but you may end up with the same problem again in another few months

| Fri 10 Nov 2023 7:33:15 #6 |
  7. User has not uploaded an avatar

DoubleD55

Thanks for the reply - I wondered about build quality myself - Humax are saying that I should send it back to them and get a replacement.
    Perhaps I will go down your route and either resite or put something on it to save the hassle of being without for a few days and losing recordings

| Fri 24 Nov 2023 7:55:07 #7 |

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.