My Humax Forum » Freesat HD » HDR 1000, 1010, 1100S

Viewing photos from my PC through media share

(11 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

Pitpatjan

I think I should be able to see photos from my laptop through the wifi access but I can;t find any instructions in the user guide. In the past I have successfully viewed youtube and iplayers but I don;t know how to connect the "photo slideshow" part up. I have found "media share" on the menu and it shows my PC is present. The right side of the page says No Items.

Please can somebody refer me to some basic instructions that will help me?

Thanks, in hope.
    Jan.

| Tue 29 Sep 2015 13:17:35 #1 |
  2. REPASSAC

REPASSAC

special member

You need to be running a media app that is a DLNA server such as the current Windows Media Player. WMP has settings as to the folders that are shared. The media sharing settings need to allow sharing on the local network. The photos will need to be JPEGs and not excessively large as memory is limited on the Humax.

Check that the folders you are sharing are the ones where your photos are shared and they should appear as available items.

| Tue 29 Sep 2015 14:15:08 #2 |
  3. User has not uploaded an avatar

Pitpatjan

Thanks. I feel I have got a little further. I am a complete novice at this - so apologies for being slow.
    I have now set up a "homegroup" to allow the Humax box to share files. I've opened "My Pictures" in WMP and have managed to play a slideshow there but the "Play to" option doesn't show any linked devices.
    Now, when I select "media sharing" on the Humax I can see my PC libraries but clicking further to open pictures or music shows no items below.
    I've been into the windows HELP functions but so far have not found any helpful pages.
    Any further suggestions appreciated.
    Jan.

| Tue 29 Sep 2015 18:10:19 #3 |
  4. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

On your Windows computer locate a folder with photographs in it. Right click on it and choose share with - select your homegroup.

| Tue 29 Sep 2015 21:00:38 #4 |
  5. REPASSAC

REPASSAC

special member

What WMP version are you using?
    On version 12 -
    On stream menu select "Automatically allow devices to play my media" - this will take you other menus such as media streaming - allow all.

| Wed 30 Sep 2015 6:40:48 #5 |
  6. User has not uploaded an avatar

Pitpatjan

I have now made a bit more progress. I can now see the photos listed in folders on the PC but the slideshow doesn't show them in order. Is there a setting where I can turn off shuffle?

| Wed 30 Sep 2015 12:00:59 #6 |
  7. REPASSAC

REPASSAC

special member

When you say you can now see the photo's do you mean on the Humax?
    WMP has a shuffle setting on the play menu also it allows you to chick on pictures>all pictures to select one of four sort orders (like date taken, tag, by folder). You can also click on the column headings in WMP to toggle the sort order.

You can also check if you have WMP setup correctly with an app (Android) called anDLNA.

| Wed 30 Sep 2015 13:03:19 #7 |
  8. User has not uploaded an avatar

Pitpatjan

I meant that I could see the photos through my Humax box. It seemed that if I waited a minute or two (at least) at each step in opening the shared server, library, folders etc that it would unpack stuff slowly from the PC.
    Feeling flushed with this success I decided that I should limit the folders shared as that would keep things simpler, so I unshared music, docs and videos. I have managed to get myself right back to square 1 now. I have run troubleshooting homegroups and it says it's OK.
    I have version 12 of WMP on my PC and from what you said before I must kick the slideshow off on the PC rather than the Humax so I shall try that now. Thanks for your patience. I'll let you know my progress - hopefully within a couple of hours

| Wed 30 Sep 2015 14:47:59 #8 |
  9. REPASSAC

REPASSAC

special member

I did not mean to suggest that you kick off the slideshow from the PC, that will not work, just play with the folder display order in WMP.

I have not created a homegroup on my PC - it is not actually necessary for this.

| Wed 30 Sep 2015 15:09:24 #9 |
  10. User has not uploaded an avatar

Pitpatjan

Sorry, it's odd that I was able to do that at some time this morning! But back to WMP then....
    I have opened WMP and can see my photos. I can see the "Play to" icon but when I select it I get the message "no media devices found". I don;t know how to access it: do I need to be on a certain setting on the Humax? I've been looking in Humax: Media Share. I have previously "paired" my router with the Humax and can play iplayer etc. This is the first time I am trying to connect direct from the PC to Humax.

| Wed 30 Sep 2015 15:57:26 #10 |

RSS feed for this topic

Reply »

You must log in to post.